Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't insert new light fixture at location od demo'd light fixture

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
HVAC-Novice
2929 Views, 12 Replies

can't insert new light fixture at location od demo'd light fixture

I have a ceiling grid and demo'd light fixtures in the existing phase. When I insert the new light fixtures in the new phase at the same location, i often get the error message 'Can't cut instances of ... out of its host". It seems to work sometimes when i move the fixture by a few mm, but most of the time not.

What is weird (and also may explain what I'm doing wrong) is:

• the "new phase shows a few of the ceiling grid pieces missing (where the demo'd fixture cu those out). i don't have a way to exactly place them to not cut out any ceiling grid parts
  • When I place the new fixtures, the old locations get highlighted

I added a screenshot of how it looks like when I place a new fixture on the location of a demo'd fixture. (that orange fixture is the one)

it seems to work to insert a smaller (1x4 or can light) in the same location. Sometimes when i move the new fixture by one field and it just touches the demo'd fixture, it also causes the problem.

Revit version: R2024.2
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I assume the ceiling grid is set to Existing with Phase Demolished set to None. Double-check to make sure that all of the existing lights have Phase Demolished set properly. Also, what is the Phase of the View in which you are inserting the New lighting fixtures?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: CoreyDaun

thanks for responding.

Demolition view is Phase Existing. The demo'd light fixtures are phase EXISTING and Phase demolished is EXISTING as well. the Ceiling grid is phase created EXISTING and demolished NONE

the view for the new fixtures is PHASE 1 and the new light fixtures are PHASE 1 and demolished NONE. I think this is all how it is supposed to be.

It seems to work when I put the new fixtures an inch or two off the grid position. this looks a bit goofy and requires some moving around. but sometimes i have the issue even when I put the new fixture in a neighboring grid tile.

i also looks goofy that some grid elements are missing here and there, especially if a fixture gets eliminated completely.

Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

That is not right. If an element is created and demolished in the same Phase, it's just temporary.

Your demo'd fixtures should be set to Phase Demolished: PHASE 1. Your new fixture are and existing ceiling grid are correct.

All of the existing elements should belong to the Existing Phase. If they were demolished in the Existing Phase, then they would already be gone at this moment (in reality). The "New Phase" represents ALL of the work that will be done (including any demolition work), not just the installation of new walls, devices, etc., so "PHASE 1" is the phase in which any existing element will be demolished.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
HVAC-Novice

what you say makes sense and i changed it accordingly. However, I still have the same problem.

Message 6 of 13
CoreyDaun

Could you create a new Project and recreate your situation there? Just create a ceiling (no walls needed) and insert your light fixture. If you have the same issue here, then could you Purge Unused, go into the Project Browser and manually delete all Duct/Pipe fittings, and then post it here? Also, which release of Revit MEP are you using?

Message 7 of 13
HVAC-Novice

I created a new projec and still the same problem befor epurching. but it seems to work after purching. 

It also seems to help to move the demo-fixture a bit. but this is tideous since the ceiling grid isn't helpful in positioning.

I have Revit 2013 (the full version with MEP, Arch/Structural).

Message 8 of 13
CoreyDaun

The purging affected the situation? I was just asking for the purge so that you could post your sample here, as I've been unsuccessful in replicating your issue.

Message 9 of 13
Chris.Aquino

The issue is that there is a hole in the new in the ceiling in phase 1 which is filled by infill panels. The error you are seeing usually happens when you are trying to place a light in the hole of the ceiling, and not on the infill panel. When placing the light, make sure the highlighted element is the infill panel and not the ceiling. Depending on the Phase Filter of the View, you may not be able to see the infill panels, so you cannot host to them.

Here is a video:

http://screencast.com/t/W6OFJO7r1ym4

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 10 of 13

Same here.  I have also tried to place the new light at/where the demoed light occur. the light placed well. but it is not cutting the host.  What to do.  Please help.......

Message 11 of 13

could you post the light fixture family?

Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional

remember to 'accept as solution' if this helped
Message 12 of 13

I have attached the light fixture family along with the grid ceiling modeled file. you can see the light doesn't cut the host. for the new light which I have placed...  

Message 13 of 13

there is a void in the lighting fixture.  if you delete the void, the hosting issue is resolved.

void.jpg

Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional

remember to 'accept as solution' if this helped

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report