Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Get Project Browser Back-PERIOD

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
ghardy
3006 Views, 28 Replies

Can't Get Project Browser Back-PERIOD

We are under a HUGE deadline and somehow we are having a glitch with out Project Browser. I am the BIM manager here at my consulting engineering firm. I have been using revit for A LONG TIME. Well there is no project browser whenever you open the project, If i go to View-> User interface. Project Browser is still checked, but it is no where to be found. If i try to click on it to un-check it. It will not do anything, yet all the other options will. I have tried literally everything. I have "Audited" the file and try all the troubleshooting options over and over again. I have converted it from 2011 to 2012( of course keeping each file seperate) to see if i can fix the problem in that version. No luck. Then i also converted the project to 2013 to see if i could fix it there. NO LUCK again. I have spent countless hours and can not fix this what so ever. I understand it may be something with the central file. Maybe corrupt or having a glitch, but there should be a way to resolve this without having to go back and pull out a central file from before it dissappeared.

I need to fix this ASAP. We have all the updates/patches for Revit as well. I am running out of options. I have looked through your troubleshooting as well.

If you need any additional information, let me know and I will provide it. I have loads of experience, and this is the first problem that I can't fix and it is very frustrating and about to cost me LOTS OF MONEY!

P.S.- Sorry for the very unorganized description. In a huge hurry and rush, so I just spat the unorganized information out.

If you know how to fix this and don't feel like typing it or explaining it on here. Please send me a PM and I will give you my work number and we can discuss it over the phone. I know how to fix anything else and all the work arounds to using MEP and will return the favor. THANK YOU!

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
ghardy
in reply to: ghardy

I have posted a ticket with support as well. I also opened another project with project browser. Then opened this project ontop of it. And it shows the project browser for the previous project, but it shows the correct properties. IF i click a view on the project browser that is incorrect for that project. It just crashes.

Message 3 of 29
CoreyDaun

I searched and found a solution to reset the Project Browser. I tested it and it worked without causing any problems.

1. Close Revit

2. Open the file: C:/Windows/regedit.exe

3. Browse to the path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Autodesk/Revit/Autodesk Revit MEP 20**/Components/Panels

4. You will see "ProjectBrowser". Delete it.

5. Reopen Revit and the Project Browser should be back in the default location. The previously deleted key will be recreated when you close Revit again.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 29
ghardy
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you very much. I will try that and let you know how it works.

Message 5 of 29
ghardy

Does not work. I do not think it is a location issue. I think it is a corruption in the central file. I just want to see if its a work around before i have to go back track and lose $1,000's in lost bim team hours. If it was a location issue, then when I clicked on porject browser in use interface it would still uncheck and then recheck. But when I click it, It does noting.

I opened another project with the project browser current, and then opened this project on top of it. It's properties show correctly but the project browser is for the other project. If I uncheck the project browser, it undoes it for the other project and when recheck it does nothing ( this is the only way it will ever check and uncheck) and at that point it will never uncheck again, only that once. The other project will uncheck and check just fine. I am really scared it's a central file corruption or something!

But thank you for the help anyways. I gave you some Kudos for the effort anyways.

Message 6 of 29
CoreyDaun

If you just open a blank new project with nothing else open, does it appear properly? If so, is the Project Browser still messed up with that Project if you open it as 'Detach from Central'?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 29
ghardy

Yes, if i open a blank project the browser appears correctly.

No, I have detached from central and worked in that. Still nothing, I've audited it in all 3 versions of Revit. Done every troubleshooting issue that has come up in all 3 versions to see if it will help in any of them and no luck.

Message 8 of 29
julianjameson8403

Will creating a new project, linking in the dodgy file and then binding the links solve the issue?

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 9 of 29
ghardy
in reply to: julianjameson8403

I will definitely try that. If i bind the old MEP file into the new project and bind it, will it all appear to be normal and fine and can be edited normally like the original file? Because my team still has lots of work to do moving forward and this is a BIG client.

I will definitely do all those things. I don't use these forums much, but I may start using them more, On Augi forum I am a MOD. and same with Linkedin. I have tons of people that use me for technical support. Because I can solve any problem and do a work around for anything. So this is frustrating to me.

Thank you for input. Will try. I am going to remove the Arch & struc Links before I bring it in and Bind it. Then relink those. That is the correct way, right? because I do not need the other links Binded.

Give me awhile to reply. I got another project I have to work on right now, so I will try it a bit later. I got an extension to my deadline on this project luckily or else........ bad news

Message 10 of 29
CoreyDaun

I assume that the case is the same if opened on another machine?

Message 11 of 29
julianjameson8403

Once bound you can then "explode" the link and start working on it. There will undoubtedly be additional issues that this will cause - Copy/Monitored elements, unhosting of elements, etc.

However it sounds like compared to the potential loss, these PITA issues will be less of a problem.

Good Luck!

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 12 of 29
ghardy

Yes I have tried the whole troubleshooting steps on 3 different machines.

Message 13 of 29
CoreyDaun

I figured as much.

FYI - I posted this issue on AUGI for you before I read that you were a mod there!

Message 14 of 29
ghardy

Well thank you! i appreciate it, i already hooked you up with the Kudos. And if the Binding is the only way to get it done. Then I will do it. I will puit it as the accepted solution once it works and if it does not work. Then I will post it up here.

Once again, Thanks for all your help guys.

Message 15 of 29

I have this problem narrowed down to a specific file. (attached). No matter how I open this family, from inside the project, or by opening and auditing, I cannot get the project browser to appear. So far it has not affected any other families, or projects, but I live in fear. Attached are screenshots. The project broswer that does appear is from the project the family was opened from. 

Any ideas? At this point I have reset both the properties pallate, the project browser registry keys, reset the UIstate.dat file. and no changes. Other computers in our office have the same problem with the family, but not with other families in the project. 

I am using windows 7, latest build of REVIT 2013, wacom intous 5 tablet. 

Message 16 of 29

I did find a workaround that will work in a pinch, but is not a permanent solution. 

right-click on a piece in a 3-d view, then choos "find referring views" This will give you a list of available 2d views you can jump too. 

Still not a good solution...

Message 17 of 29

Hello,

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but we are having this issue in a brand new 2014 project. I'm wondering if anyone found a solution? As I said the project is new from a template with a few things done in it so far.

I would like to know if it is a family we have in our template or if there was another solution.

Thanks for any help!

Casey

Message 18 of 29
ghardy
in reply to: julianjameson8403

Hello Casey,
You already went to the "View" tab and went to user interface and made sure that the "Project Browser" and "Properties Dialog" were checked so that it appears. MY file was corrupted and I haven't seen that issue since like 2011 Revit MEP. Hopefully this helps. If not you can contact me and maybe I can help. I was able to save that last project.

Garrett Hardy
BIM Manager
Direct: 713.866-8525
ghardy@bdmi-ce.com

[cid:image001.jpg@01CECE65.BC87FAD0]
320 Westcott Suite 100
Houston, TX 77007
Main: 713.861.3016
Fax: 713.861.3067
www.bdmi-ce.com:http:>:http:>

Be Eco-friendly - Please consider the environment before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender immediately and be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, we would appreciate your alerting us by calling the message sender at (713) 861-3016, and deleting it from your system.

All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure that no viruses are present in our email to you. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are free from any virus or defect that might negatively affect the recipient's computer system, and no responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from the use of this email and/or attachments.
Message 19 of 29
Garrett_hardy

Sorry for my last message. Was seeing if the "replying by email" works. I know the question I asked is a very basic one. I just wanted to check this first before moving forward. So if you check and it is checked and still now showing. Let me know and we can start trying to find out where it is coming from.

Message 20 of 29
casquatch
in reply to: Garrett_hardy

Garrett,

I have played around with it, tried to toggle the browser on/off. I opened another project like described above, saw the browser, switched windows and it was there but frozen as the other project with no functionality.

At the time it wouldn't even check the box on or off, so it is not missing off the screen, it just won't turn on.

The project was new enough that barely anything was done to it, so I just created a new one and let the users go from there. They didn't have time to let me dig further.

I'd like to find a solution in case this wasn't an isolated issue.

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report