Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use worksets and use laptop while not connected to the network

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JEFFGREEN9043
309 Views, 1 Reply

can I use worksets and use laptop while not connected to the network

I want to be able to use a laptop with a lcoal copy of my project and adjust my design while disconnected from the network.  Will this work with worksets since the other user will not be able to access or see the changes being made until i return to the office.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
embolisim
in reply to: JEFFGREEN9043

In theory, yes.

You need to check out the workset you want to work on while stil connected to the network.  This will lock that workset, preventing anyone else from editing it (unless they send you and edit request & you grant it, which of course you wont be able to do).

When you open the local copy while not connected to the network Revit will warn you that you are working 'at risk'.

The risk is that if there are a lot of changes to your workset, and a lot of changes to the central file that Revit will be unable to reconcile the two. Not having tried it, I dont know how real the risk is.

If you do try please post back your expeeriences.

You should consider what other users will be doing in the model too. I tend to work with the mechanical workset checked out, to stop people accidently messing up my stuff & find I get edit requests for things you wouldnt expect. For example if a duct intersects a full height wall, sometimes the architect will find that he needs to send me an edit request for the duct when he tries to move the wall. Even though he is not changing the duct at all. Ditto for diffusers hosted in ceilings....

My point is that if other people have to stop work and wait for you to reconnect to the model to grant edit requests, you wont be very popular.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report