Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help creating a reducing tee pipe fitting for Revit MEP 2011 ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jfmonod
9237 Views, 9 Replies

Can anyone help creating a reducing tee pipe fitting for Revit MEP 2011 ?

Hi all. Can anyone here help me with a family creation problem ?

I am starting from the out-of-the-box "Tee Reducing - Threaded - MI - Class 150" and am trying to get this to resemble the welded reducing tee fittings shown in the first sheet of the following PDF (http://www.tfes.com/pdf/flangeSheetMetric.pdf). I am namely trying to create the 2" - 12" reducing tees. After removing the bands and all associated parameters from the existing family, I am running into trouble reconciling the "Center to End" parameters with the C and M dimensions shown in the PDF table.

Replacing the values in the CSV file isn't coming close to the sizes given and I don't seem to be able to edit the following :

text_file_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "CtE1", 0.29 * Nominal Diameter 1 - 0.05 * Nominal Diameter 2 + 0.52 * Nominal Diameter 3 + 0' 0 181/256", (Nominal Diameter 1), (Nominal Diameter 2), (Nominal Diameter 3))

without ending up with an "invalid number of arguments".

After a protracted struggle I have to admit defeat here so any help is welcome.

Many thanks.

Jean-Fred

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jfmonod
in reply to: jfmonod

Nevermind I figured it out

Message 3 of 10
fireacad

Good to hsee you figure it out Can you show me how?!

Message 4 of 10
kaleemimran_s
in reply to: fireacad

In deed i am also interested to know.Please add some link where i can access the learning material

Regards

Syed 

Regards

Syed
Message 5 of 10
ssafstrom
in reply to: kaleemimran_s

It is rediculous that RevitMEP does not provide a good generic family for a reducing tee.  I mean come on Autodesk, this is a fitting that gets used in EVERY Single mechanical/plumbing design. 

After paying some tall coin for this program, I still find myself spending hours on end tinkering with families to get them to work the way I'd like them to. 

It is time that Autodesk hires some Mechanical Engineers with real life design experience to help guide the program designers at Autodesk! 

Message 6 of 10
jfmonod
in reply to: ssafstrom

I agree. There are still a lot of holes in this software as far as content is concerned.

Meanwehile I have to say, I am very sorry. I completely forgot about this old post and committed the sin of not posting my solution at the time. I even went and said I had found it. (Neener, neener...)  I don't know why I didn't get notice that others were looking for answers (Or maybe worse ... ignored it..) Anyway, Mea Maxima Culpa.

I am attaching the families that I built along with the associated lookup tables here. Again that's based on the Taylor Forge table in the original post. These families sometimes needed some real massaging in the model to get them to work properly. I don't know if I left something major out while building them. 

NOTE: I am an architect, NOT an MEP engineer. I'd be happy to take criticism from any MEP engineers who look at my families posted here and tell me a better / more accurate way to do it.

So anyway, I learned all I know about lookup tables from this source :

https://projectpoint.buzzsaw.com/_bz_web/MartinSchmid/_PUBLIC/InsideTheSystemContent/Download.dwn?Si...3Fpublic

From there I was able to build my own family for a reducing welded tee instead of trying to modify the flanged one like I attempted originally. I also added Long Radius Elbows, and Concentric and Eccentric Reducers.

I used in Advanced Grapher ( http://www.alentum.com/agrapher/ ) to graph the size table for the fittings which then allowed me to get the function of the curve using regression analysis. That function is what Revit needs in order to approximate the size of the fitting when size data which is not in the lookup table is entered. Otherwise one wrong keystroke and your family explodes. In this case I went  and told it to approximate a linear function. This explains the  (0.98 * Nominal Diameter 3 + 0'  0 17/32")   part in the "Fitting Outside Diameter 3" parameter  in the Tee Reducing - Welded family, for example.

Anyway I hope this helps someone, even if it's late in the game.

Best of luck.

JF

Message 7 of 10
mmarker

any copper reducing tees, or long radius steel welded elbows out there? I think I've looked at every site known to man and no luck.  Trying to get some spool drawings done for a mechanical room and I noticed that REVIT is lacking more than I would have imagined in the actual representation of numerous objects.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 10
mmarker

How do I get the revit families you posted to show up double line?  It carries the dimension but disappears when going to realistic view or fine/hidden wire frame.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
dakerem

does anyoone know how to create family like the attached one? or if someone has a family like i would apprecite it if i could lay hands on it. 

thank you

Message 10 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dakerem

Welcome to the Discussion Groups dakerem!

I would recommend searching Autodesk Seek or checking a manufacturer's website for the desired families. If you still cannot find what you're looking for, check out YouTube for tutorials. If you run into any issues, post back here.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report