Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation of VAV System Pressure Drop

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3691 Views, 4 Replies

Calculation of VAV System Pressure Drop

I posted this in a reply to another thread, but didn't get any responses. This is really holding up my use of Revit. Can you please help?

As shown in the attached word doc, a new supply air system is created for each VAV box, which is different than (not nested beneath) the AHU's system. Therefore, when I try to get the external static pressure drop of the actual system (i.e. from the AHU's supply fan, through the index run's diffuser, including VAV box losses - what I need to size the system's supply fan) I'm only getting the static pressure drop of each "Revit system" (i.e. from the AHU's supply fan to the inlet of all assigned VAV boxes OR, from the VAV outlet through that zone's index run diffuser). Additionally system inspector only lets you inspect these "Revit systems", not the whole system.

As an example, look at the first picture in the attached word doc, and you'll see that all my supply diffusers have a pressure drop of 0.09 in-wg, and my VAV boxes each have a pressure drop of 0.25 in-wg. The result is a calculated required static pressure at my VAV boxes, and at my AHU supply fan (0.43 in-wg, circled in red). Now look at the second picture. I've changed the pressure drop of all supply diffusers to 0.25 in-wg. The required static pressures at VAV box outlets increases, however the static pressure for the AHU fan module remains 0.43 in-wg. This 0.43 should have increased, with the increase in pressure drop of the supply diffusers.

It seems to me that there should be a system level (comprised of all supply components that are connected to a particular AHU) and zone levels, actually nested beneath the system (comprised of each VAV box and their downstream supply components). Can you please inform me of a better way to organize a VAV system so that I can get the actual external static pressure drop needed to size the AHU supply fan? Or, how are you getting around this limitation?

Thank you,
Pete Edited by: peterworley on Feb 5, 2010 7:10 AM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Bill,
In your System Browser you have a few "Unassigned" systems at the bottom which might be causing this problem, especially the "Default Supply Air". I'd either try to connect these or delete them for starters. Such a situation has caused confusion for me in similar designs.
-Tim
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Re: Creating Mechanical Supply System
Options
12-10-2015 11:50 AM in reply to: kevinaldo

Hello everyone,

here might be the easiest solution of this problem. Folow these steps:

1. Place the AHU at place

2. Place the Air Terminal At place

3. Place the VAV at place (you may adjust it later)

NO DUCT WORK TILL NOW

4. RIght click on AHU supply connection point and create a system.

5. Now click on any air terminal, right click on duct connection, add to system, click on AHU. Now the air terminal and AHU ar in the same system.

6. Now click on the VAV unit , right click on in duct connection, add to system, click on AHU.

7. Again click on the VAV unit , right click on out duct connection, add to system, click on AHU.

8. Complete all the duct connection.

DONE!
Message 4 of 5
austin.platts

Does anyone have an updated answer to this? I'm having similar problems.

Message 5 of 5
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: austin.platts

tanveer explained it. You basically only create one single system and not sub systems for each VAV. 

The VAV box then just appears like a damper or any other device that creates some pressure drop and passes the air flow though. 

You also should be able to " destroy"  all the VAV systems and then make it one system after the fact if you didn't follow tanveer's instructions from the beginning. 

Revit version: R2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report