Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Links

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
norcaljess
570 Views, 4 Replies

CAD Links

Ok gurus!  Help please!  The client we are working with has CAD architectural backgrounds linked into their model.  Because we are only modeling a shelled portion of an existing building, they created this portion in Revit & are using CAD to show the rest of the building.  When I attach these links to the arch background, they do not show up in our MEP model.  Do I have to directly attach them into our model? 

Thanks,

Jess

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
asommer
in reply to: norcaljess

I haven't tried that before, but I believe that is the case.  You might have to link it in on your MEP.  Not to be critical, but why are you doing your MEP in Revit when the Arch is not?  You will have to assume a lot of ceiling heights and structure.

Message 3 of 5
norcaljess
in reply to: asommer

Ha!  That would be really strange, huh?  It's actually just the outlying portion of the architectural building that's done in CAD.  They (the architect) have the shelled space of the building that we're remodeling done in Revit.  It just didn't make sense for them to model the entire building in Revit.  Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 5

There is a way to get them to show through - go to the VG of the view you want to see the CAD links in and select the Revit Links tab. Then select the linked file and customise the display settings of the file. On the first tab "Basics" selct the Custom radio button and then change the top option to the relevant view in the linked model which displays the CAD file you want to see. You also need to make sure that the CAD files are visible in the imported Categories tab.

This is okay if you only have a few views to do but does get a bit of a ball-ache when you have loads of views as you have to do each manually (unles you are able to plan ahead and set up a master view exactly how you like and hope you don't have to chaneg anything later or lose your links!) I guess you could setup view templates to automate this process before applying any other service specific view templates to get your view correct.

An alternative could be to import the CAD files into the Arch model rather than link them but that has its own pitfalls and can slow your work down greatly.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the info.  It was a big help.  I almost got this far but not quite.  There are so many different places to look for graphics on/off in Revit, especially when using linked backgrounds.  Slowly but surely.... I'll get there!

Thanks!

Jess

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report