Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Tray - Vertical

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
8032 Views, 35 Replies

Cable Tray - Vertical

I want to route a cable tray in vertical orientation? how to do, can anybody help

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

Will this feature come in 2017 version?, my waiting for this feature is now 4 years
Message 22 of 36
smbrennan

When 2017 is officially announced, you will be able to read about any fixes and new features.
Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 23 of 36
dgorsman
in reply to: smbrennan

As always, the onus is on the individual users to determine if the product meets their needs or not.  Don't count solely on new feature lists or internet opinions as everyone has their own unique work environment.  New releases need testing in context *before* declaring them useless or even worse, rolling them out before finding out how well (or not) it works in that context.  There can be other additions which make work arounds possible or easier, even if the desired feature is not specifically added.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 24 of 36
fabiosato

Hello,

Did you try Fabrication Parts? Particularly I didn't check if it works, but it may help you.

We have made some use to model ducts and busways.

They are available on 2016.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 36

I don’t know if I got what you want,however you can easily draw a vertical CT just by changing the offset and hitting apply.Also you can draw them in the section if you need a customized vertical routing.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 26 of 36
smbrennan
in reply to: Mahmoud.Ziedan

The issue isn't routing cable tray vertically for a riser. It's routing cable tray along a wall. So imagine the typical cable tray bottom - it faces the ground. In some regions, this bottom faces a wall.
Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 27 of 36
Sandleaz

You can get the cable tray to be rotated, it's not automatic or an easy task.  

CT-1.jpg

CT-2.jpg

Message 28 of 36
paulclaytonSZ3P2
in reply to: Sandleaz

how did you or do you draw vertical cable tray in your examples below. this is exactly what I want and need to do but cant work it out. please help

Message 29 of 36
Sandleaz
in reply to: paulclaytonSZ3P2

I don't remember.  I think I drew a line at 45 degrees and mirrored a horizontal cable tray with respect to the line.  

Message 30 of 36
smbrennan
in reply to: Sandleaz

We'll I'll be - that works. It is a little tedious if you need to do any risers, but it can be done with enough patience and trial and error. 

Shawn B.

||    
Message 31 of 36
ToanDN

Can you just draw it on an elevation or section?  That was what I did, then manually place a fitting.  I have not figured out how to automatically add a fitting for such condition but I am no engineer so I can be missing something obvious.

Capture.PNG

Message 32 of 36
rudi.roux

Hi @Arun_Kumar_K / All, 

You're pretty much left with (3x) options. I'm only going to provide two as the third option of having to create a generic line based family to mimic a cable tray comes with it's own set of problems. As far as the other two options goes, you can either use fabrication parts or manipulate the default wall-based vertical cable trays to do what you want it to do. 

DEFAULT CABLE TRAYS: 

In the Screencast below you'll be able to see how you can generate a wall based cable tray and I show some of the limitations and workarounds. You can essentially use tray fittings to control the length and simply delete it once you're done. The Screencast will pretty much show what can and can't be achieved.

I can only have one Screencast per post, so this will continue to my next post...

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 33 of 36
rudi.roux
in reply to: rudi.roux

Continuation of my previous post: 

FABRICATION PARTS - CABLE TRAYS: 

It is a bit easier to control wall based vertical cable trays with fabrication parts in Revit and another cool function in Revit 2018 is the Multi-Point Routing option for Fabrication Parts. (Time-Saver). I don't go through the multi-point routing option in the Screencast below, as this is an old video done in Revit 2017. 

I hope this helps! Smiley Wink

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 34 of 36

thanks for the replies. I only have Revit 2015 at the moment, does anybody know if fabrication arts works with 2015? What is the simplest way of showing vertical cable tray in this version? I am new to Revit and any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting pressured by our engineers to show it.

Message 35 of 36

You can model cable tray along a wall in a vertical position.

Probably not the way Autodesk intended it, but I'll try to explain my workflow here.

CT 001.JPGCT 002.JPGCT 003.JPGCT 004.JPG

Not the prettiest way, but it does work. However, the vertical faced cable trays are very error-prone this way, but they do get the job done.

Message 36 of 36

Hi @paulclaytonSZ3P2,

Fabrication Parts came out in Revit 2016, so the easiest way would pretty much be exactly what I showed in my 1st Screencast. There I go through the possible errors which you might get, the solutions on how to draw vertical "RISING" cable trays and vertical "WALL-BASED/HORIZONTALLY ORIENTATED" cable trays. Along with ways in which you can control the lengths, positions and how to build upon your current vertical wall-based cable trays whilst keeping everything connected as you would with normal horizontal cable trays. It is doable with a couple of minor workarounds to get Revit to respond in the way which you want it to. 

@Arun_Kumar_K - I've been using Revit 2018 since April and this is still the only way. It can certainly be made a bit more user friendly going forward, but as far as being able to do/model it in Revit, you can as indicated in both Screencasts either by means of using your normal Cable Trays etc. OR by means of using Fabrication Parts. 

A cool tool which was introduced in Revit 2018 is the Multi-Point Routing (video) option for fabrication parts which does improve efficiency when working with fabrication parts. 

I hope this helps! Smiley Wink

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report