Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Tray - Vertical

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
8025 Views, 35 Replies

Cable Tray - Vertical

I want to route a cable tray in vertical orientation? how to do, can anybody help

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

I don't believe that this is currently possible - there are a few threads in the Revit MEP Wishes forum pleading for the same thing.

One such is: Cable trays - vertical installation, wire mesh

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Oh god, then we can't use the software. We purchased the software mainly for Cable tray routing. If not, here also we cheated then.
Message 4 of 36
CoreyDaun

Ouch! I would recommend performing a general internet search - perhaps someone has developed a third-party add-in that accomplishes this.

Also note that Cable Tray for the current versions of Revit is not intelligent, specifically that it possesses no direct means of counting cables or calculating capacity, so it's quite limited in that aspect as well. It's still a relatively new feature in Revit and basically serves little use aside from creating models elements for the purposes of Scheduling and Interference Checking.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks CADastrophe for your quick reply here. I try to find third party add-in, meanwhile if you come across any one, please let me know.

Autodesk please improve, don't be incomplete everywhere in your product. I remember my school days, my father use to advice me to learn the subject complete whatever I study. Always first impression is the best impression. When you launch some product, please give it full or don't, for the want of making money, please don't provide a incomplete software.
Message 6 of 36
Chris.Aquino

We are always looking to make our products better, and the following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Although this issue is already logged with our Development group, I have updated them so that they are aware that more people are reporting this issue.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 7 of 36
Sandleaz
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Always first impression is the best impression. 

That's a pretty terrible generalization.  I remember when REVIT MEP 2008 one day decided to corrupt the first project I ever worked on in REVIT.  Was it a sour experience?  Yes.  Did I get mad? Yes.  Would I become the REVIT tamer I am today without that sour experience?  Probably.  

Back to your question:

I want to route a cable tray in vertical orientation? how to do, can anybody help

Probably infinite ways to do it but you can open a section view, type "CT" (shortcut for cable tray), and make as many vertical cable trays as you want.  Please note, I might have misunderstood what you want to do when you're asking to make a cable tray in a vertical orientation.  

cable trays.jpg

Message 8 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

Verical cable tray routing is possible in 2015?
Message 9 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Sandleaz

This is not what I am asking.

What I am requesting is-

You have routed horizontal trays in the above screenshot, which I wanted in vertical orientation.
Message 10 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

Does the vertical cable tray feature is included in 2015 release?
Message 11 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

I have been requesting for the vertical cable tray feature for more than 2 years, but everyone keeps silent, for the improvement of software, I wonder why Autodesk not taking action in this regard, this not only helps me but for many users.

Attached the image what exactly I want.

Message 12 of 36
Caddict1

Vetically oriented cable tray is actually a quite common design practice.  My firm currently uses a different design software which allows us to design vertically as Arun has pointed out.  As my firm moves into Revit MEP, we'd love to see this shortcoming fixed.  

The Revit MEP workaround is very limited in that fittings do not support the orientation change, etc.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

If Autodesk was very serious in developing Revit, they would had developed this feature by this time. One day I am sure, Autodesk will be like BlackBerry now.
Message 14 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

Why I am comparing BlackBerry is:

They are the first who developed Smartphone, but lost the market share, because they didn't listen to customer requirement.

Autodesk was the first to introduce cad based detailing, and taken initiative in 3d, but even though they aware the cad based cannot be helpful for large scale, they didn't develop any tool for that. Sp3d, poms occupied the 2billion$ market every year. Autodesk only weapon in engineering for future is Revit, they should concentrate in this, otherwise....one need not to explain.
Message 15 of 36
Caddict1

Let's stick to the matter at hand.  Please include vertical rung design option in your next UR.  Thanks.

Message 16 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Caddict1

Can you tell me in which software you are doing vertical cable tray, we need to route for one project urgently. We will buy it immediately if it can.
Message 17 of 36
smbrennan

As Chris mentioned on the first page, log your complaints via their product feedback portal. I think (and I bold because it's my own suspicion) that they are going to focus a bit more on Electrical development for the '16, if not the '17 release. My reasoning for this: I've spoken to Autodesk Product Managers directly, in person, who hinted that they were working on some issues. I've also received personalized emails regarding feedback I had provided via the same link Chris included. I also include the link in my signature. I highly recommend you use it. Provide feedback for vertical cable tray. Provide another top for Rung design. Provide one "ticket" for each issue you come across. And, share the link among peers. Their development is based on demand. If more people are demanding sketchy lines than vertical cable trays, then that's where their going to focus their efforts. 

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 18 of 36
chevyreid81

Hi all,

So i have been using this lovely package for last 4/5 years and still have not figured out how to draw cable tray in a vertical orientation.

I am currently on14 and I cant change the orientation, altho it is requird for job i am on. Have or has anyone come up with a way yet?

Thanks

Message 19 of 36
smbrennan
in reply to: chevyreid81

As a quick workaround until Autodesk actually fixes the issue, you can try using Mechanical Duct.  I used it for Bus Duct once and it worked fine, but I know the routing for that is a little different compared to vertically run cable tray.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 20 of 36
Arun_Kumar_K

Will theature come in 2017 version?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report