Revit MEP

Valued Contributor
bvm76
Message 1 of 6 (621 Views)
Accepted Solution

cable tray connector

621 Views, 5 Replies
11-18-2013 04:38 AM

i am trying to make a cable tray fitting but i can't figure out why the cable tray connector is not in line with the face of the tray that i selected. the width is fine and the height is the problem. Please see attached.

It has to do with that the connector is connected to the U-shaped face. It connects to the center of gravity of the face. Solution is to connect it to a workplane or alternatively create a (small) object were you can connect your connector to. This object with connector can than be located/placed in the right spot. In your case I would go for workplane based connector.

Too add to EnlInt's suggestion of creating a dedicated extrusion to host the Connector: you can disable that extrusion's Visibility  and the Connector will still be available. Alternatively, you can create the core extrusion as a solid bar and use a Void Extrusion to carve our the cavity, which will leave the connector centered on the face.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 6 (593 Views)

Re: cable tray connector

11-18-2013 06:39 AM in reply to: bvm76

Can you attach the Family file? Also, what version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
bvm76
Message 3 of 6 (585 Views)

11-18-2013 07:47 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

please see attached.

i am using revit 2013.

Mentor
EnlInt
Message 4 of 6 (578 Views)

11-18-2013 08:16 AM in reply to: bvm76
It has to do with that the connector is connected to the U-shaped face. It connects to the center of gravity of the face. Solution is to connect it to a workplane or alternatively create a (small) object were you can connect your connector to. This object with connector can than be located/placed in the right spot. In your case I would go for workplane based connector.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 5 of 6 (568 Views)

11-18-2013 08:58 AM in reply to: bvm76

Too add to EnlInt's suggestion of creating a dedicated extrusion to host the Connector: you can disable that extrusion's Visibility  and the Connector will still be available. Alternatively, you can create the core extrusion as a solid bar and use a Void Extrusion to carve our the cavity, which will leave the connector centered on the face.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
bvm76
Message 6 of 6 (531 Views)

11-20-2013 09:06 AM in reply to: CADastrophe
I created a solid sweep with the same width and height as the U-face tray and it works. Thanks guys!
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.