Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bold dashed line pattern?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
clippincott-CL
3004 Views, 6 Replies

bold dashed line pattern?

I'm trying to somehow apply a bold, wide dashed line to just one view of a wiremold family I am creating. If I could just draw a model line and apply a thickness and dashed linetype to it then I'd have what I'm looking for but as far as I can tell, that's not possible in Revit.

One solution I tried was creating a custom hatch pattern in AutoCAD and then importing the .pat file to Revit but I wasn't able to create the hatch pattern I need.

The Vertical Poche material pattern would work great also if I was able to apply a thickness to the lines in the pattern but again as far as I can tell I can't do that in Revit.

Does anyone have experience with applying a custom material or a custom pattern in Revit? If so, how would you recommend I create a 2" thick dashed line pattern?

Thanks for any help offered.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mojova
in reply to: clippincott-CL

I would check out working with filters under your visibility graphics. You can create a new filter that will pick up any object that you assign to it and within that view change the line graphics of that particular filter to be dashed linetype and whatever lineweight you want.

Visibility Graphics > Filters > Edit/New > New Filter >

select the categories that you may want this filter to control...

Under filter rules select a parameter to filter your selection by or if it's something that will be a specific instance you may want to create a new shared parameter that you can use to get a more specific selection.

hope that helps.

Mike
Message 3 of 7

Ahhhh, yes, filters, I forgot about filters. That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, Mike.
Message 4 of 7

I just got back to working on this and realized that you can't create filters that end up being part of a family. Whatever the solution to this is, I want it to be inherent to the family. I don't want to have to create a rule in each view that this wiremold family is ever used in so in plan view it will have a thick dashed line along its length.

The best way to do it seems to be to somehow import a .pat file that I can use as a material. I just need to figure out how to create that .pat file.

Or if anyone else knows of a better way, please let me know.
Message 5 of 7
mojova

sorry frazzle, I did not catch the part about it within the family. I then thought of using symbolic lines but that doesn't seem likely to work since you need control in a specific view. you sound like you have a good idea with assigning a material...I'm not real familiar with .pat files or working with materials.

Good luck.
Mike
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

within your family, add an object style for the line pattern you would like. then you will have that object style as a controllable setting in the visibility graphics menu of your project.
Message 7 of 7

That's probably the best idea so far, seeing as I for some reason can't get the materials that I assign in the family to show up when I place an object in a view in the project.

The only problem is that the dash segments are rounded at the ends when I use any line pattern that is dashed, but this is a good solution for now. Thanks, ekuz!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report