Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST PRACTICE to show existing and new mechanical services

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Mehdi.Kardehi
1552 Views, 10 Replies

BEST PRACTICE to show existing and new mechanical services

Hi All,

Seeking advice on the best practice to show existing and new mechanical services using Revit MEP

Most of the time on renovation projects there will be some mechanical services that stay unchanged in the project and some new mechanical services need to be added.

What would be the best way to reflect this on Revit drawings?

Cheers,

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

Revit handles that through Phasing, and Phase Graphics Overrides. If your Elements have been set to "Phase Created" = "Existing" and "Phase Demolished" = "None", then Revit shall treat those elements as such in all Views set to a Phase later than "Existing" (i.e. "New Construction"). Depending on the Phase Filter that is assigned to the View (by default, any that contain "Show Previous..."), all of the Existing Elements should inherit the appearance according to the "Existing" Phase Graphic Overrides, which by default is gray with a Line Weight of 2 for Projection Line and 3 for Cut Lines.

How did you identify existing equipment prior to using Revit? Some things are not easily replicated in Revit, for example showing Demolished equipment with a hatch pattern.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Corey... This is exactly what I was looking forSmiley Happy

I used to do all these manually in AutoCAD with couple of extra comments on the drawings etc which was very time consuming and hard to manage in big jobs

Cheers,

M

Message 4 of 11

Can you also tell me the way you propose to show this?

- same equipment but need to be moved to a new location after the fit out procedure.

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

Sorry for the delay of response!

Here in this office, we would show the 'existing to be relocated' the same as the demolished elements, but we would denote it with an "ER" annotation (by means of a Shared Parameter). The new position of the elements would be likewise noted and shown just as the new elements are.

Your method may vary, but again, this depends on how your company represents this outside of Revit projects.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
sammy1412

i am curious about this as well.

i want to show all my existing piping one color (say yellow) then all my bew piping as different colors.  (blue for cold water, red for hot etc etc etc)

is there an easy way in revit to do this?

Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: sammy1412

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Unfortunately, Phase Graphics Overrides will affect all Categories of elements globally, and therefore cannot override your existing Piping with a yellow color without making all other existing elements yellow as well (i.e. Ducts, Walls). Phase Graphics Overrides is the only direct way to override elements based on their Phase.

There is a work-around, however, but it will require a little bit of manual upkeep:

1. Create a new View Filter for the appropriate Piping Categories with the Filter Rules: "Comments" "Equals" "EX", and add this to your Views with the yellow color as an override.

2. Under Manage tab » Phases » Phase Filters tab, create a new Phase Filter "Show Previous Only" and designate "New", "Demolished", and "Temporary" as "Not Displayed". Click 'OK'.

3. Next, create a new Multi-Category Schedule named something like "EX Designation" and under...

Fields tab: Add only the Category and Comments fields.

Filter tab: Set two filters "Category is greater than or equal to Pipe Accessories" and "Category is less than or equal to Pipe Accessories".

Sorting/Grouping tab: Clear the "Itemize every instances" checkbox at the bottom.

Formatting tab: Mark the Category Field as a hidden field. (not a crucial step).

Appearance tab: Nothing.

Click 'OK'. Under Properties, set Phase to "New Construction" and Phase Filter to "Show Previous Only".

You will notice that there is a single cell in the Schedule. By manually typing "EX" in this box, that value is applied to all Existing elements captured by this Schedule, thus, subjecting them to the View Filter. The little bit upkeep is that you will have to periodically come back to this schedule and re-enter "EX" into this cell, because newly created elements will not automatically inherit the "EX" in comments.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any problems or questions!

Message 8 of 11
sammy1412

Cory, thanks for the quick response!

from reading thru what you posted, the question occured to me, can this be treated similar to way layers would work inACAD.

in other words, if i were to select say the 'Vent' pipe type, and duplicate it and rename it as 'EX Vent', can a seperate filter be created that would control the color of 'Ex Vent', and a seperate filter for the regular 'Vent'?

Message 9 of 11
CoreyDaun

That can work, but you might run into some issues in locations where you have a mix of the new and existing Systems, specifically with the joining Fittings. Also, make sure that you use View Filters to control your existing appearances, because Systems Graphics Overrides do not trump Phase Graphics Overrides whereas View Filters do.

Message 10 of 11
sammy1412

thanks! i'm going to try it over the next few days/early  next week.

it might the fact that i am having trouble witht he phase filters (they dont seem to want to work logically, at least not to me.....) and probably its moer the acad background kicking in.....

these are areas where i just hate revit hough.......!

Message 11 of 11
sammy1412

so far so good with this set up, thanks!

it does have its kinks though.... and making a new pipe system for the pipe and the fittings is a bit goofy......  but over all its working ok.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report