Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bathroom Riser

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rayarmstrong
323 Views, 4 Replies

Bathroom Riser

All of my plumbing is drawn on the flat with NO SLOPE. All of the plumbing is in the plumbing workspace. The plumbing is fine except for plumbing wyes. When you copy and paste or make as a group and bring them in as a new instance, the plumbing wyes will sometimes disconnect. They dont disconnect at the fixture. What baffles me is my water closet riser doesnt do this, but the lavatory and bath tub riser will. The wyes have 2 directions of flow, which seems to be the remark to all the errors that pop up when I copy and paste.

Error Message:
(Can't move or copy these elements at the same time. One of them is restricted to moving in one direction while the other is restricted to moving in a conflicting direction).

If I click disjoin it will go ahead and let me copy and paste but the wye will disconnect.

Thanks everyone for your time.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
embolisim
in reply to: rayarmstrong

I think that error message relates to constraints, not to flow.
I've found the same kind of issue.
If the nature of your pipe network is that some fittings are constrained to only move along the pipe, it is hard to copy that section. Especially if it works out that some fittings are constrained north/south while others are constrained east/west. That would explain why you have a problem on one system and not the other. The system you can copy is probably a more flexible configuration.
I either just let things break, then fix them, or try to copy smaller sections and redraw some of it. Its often just as quick once you get the 'connect into' working.

Re your other post, I do much the same. Insert (or copy) the trap, draw a straight pipe, then rotate it to the right direction.
I also use reference planes and align a lot, especially when I draw the pipe sloping.
Message 3 of 5
rayarmstrong

I have the same riser configuration on the water closet as I do the lav's. If I take out all the wyes and insert short tee's it works fine without disconnecting. It seems to me a tee and a wye have three directions of flow or constraints. Would like to keep it what industry standards are by using wyes. Also when you have 500 bathrooms in a three story dormitory, you would think there is a way to copy and paste a complete bathroom riser (water closet, Lav, and bath tub) to another identical bathroom. Apparently not.

Frustrated!
Message 4 of 5
embolisim

Thats rather a lot of bathrooms. Our projects are typically quite a bit smaller than that. Going through and reconnecting each one is not as big a deal when there is 'only' 30 or 40.
You hit the nail on the head regarding wyes. I find they are much fussier than tees. (I was talking to someone internally about this about an hour ago) I think the reason is that tees have three universal connectors, where wyes have two in and one out. Which is why you have to draw the pipe in the direction of flow if you want them to come in the right way around at the first hit.
Not that that helps a lot....
Message 5 of 5
wj8963193

In the past, a bathroom was located inside the house but there was an outhouse where waste disposal occurs. The design of the water closet in plumbing is taken from this system. It started among wealthy families and hotels in 1870.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report