Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Connect Control

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3960 Views, 7 Replies

Auto Connect Control

I am having a problem with the Auto Connect. It seems like it will not pick up the easiest transition in my duct or but can make some of the hardest. Other times it will connect in a manner that is not acceptable and I can not override that connection. Is there anyway to control this function besides turning off.
I have also had a problem with radius elbows. I will put my ductwork together and it will look great and then later I will go back to work on a different section and all my radius elbows all over the drawing have separated from the duct. Has anyone else had this problem. It has happend 3 times to me.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd need more information on the first question you have, but for the second issue, try re-loading the family.

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Kyle,

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached two views. The top view is the only connection I can get for these two ducts that are at different elevations. I am trying to get the top duct to go over the bottom and connect vertically. Not diagonally.

The bottom view is some crazy looking elbow that did look correct at one time and now it looks like this. I have a couple other elbows that have down the same thing. I tried to reload the family and nothing changed.
Message 4 of 8
KyleB_Autodesk

Hmmmm, looks like the second case is something I haven't seen before, I'd recommend logging that with our Subscription Support team or your Reseller.

As for the first item, it looks like a tight connection. I'd try the following:

Option 1:
1. Select the horizontal duct on top, as well as all connecting fittings, diagonal ducts, and the lower horizontal duct.
2. Choose Routing Solutions button on the Options bar.
3. One of the Solutions will be a vertical connection.

Option 2: (A bit more painful)
1. Extend the top duct above the lower duct, don't connect it.
2. From the end of the top duct, choose to create a new run, enter an offset that is below the current elevation, but NOT at the height of the lower duct. You might have to try this a couple times to put in a large enough offset delta for an elbow to fit in.
3. Switch to a 3D view. Delete the vertical section of duct you just created, but not the elbow.
4. Select the Elbow, choose the Connect Into button on the Options bar (this is a new button in Revit MEP 2008). Select the Duct below.

The connection type will depend on the Duct System Family used in the lower duct run (the duct being connected TO).

I hope those solve your problem, otherwise, I'd need a copy of that dataset to solve this routing situation.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager Message was edited by: Kyle B [Autodesk]

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Kyle,

Here is another problem. Auto disconnecting elbows. When I have mitered elbows that I change to radius this happens. They will look great for about five minutes and then they pop off. If I change back to mitered then they will look correct.

Thanks for your help
Message 6 of 8
KyleB_Autodesk

You need to re-load the family. There's a trick here though. If Revit detects that the version of the family you are loading matches the version of the family in the Project, then it doesn't do anything. You need to do a quick change to work around that. I usually just change a Parameter value in the Family Types dialog, hit Okay, reopen and change it back to its original value. You can then Save the famlly and load it into the project successfully. If that doesn't work, log the issue with your support resource.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Kyle, I have had this same problem many times, on plumbing too. Could you be more precise on the procedure required to 're-load the family'? Would I start out going, File --> Open --> Imperial Library --> Mechanical --> Duct Fittings --> Rectangular --> Rectangular Duct Mitered Elbow --> Family Types --> then I am not sure what to change. I would assume that after the proper change, I would 'Load into Project'. Should I rename anything? I appreciate all the content you have added to this Discussion Group. BTW, shouldn't Autodesk place the Support Requests relevant to this software in this Discussion Group? It just seems like you guys could save time from answering the same questions over and over, and more time on more important issues. Or perhaps vice-versa (Discussion Group in Support Requests)? -Tim Geiser, LEO A DALY, Minneapolis
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Same problem here too. I would like to turn off the AUTO CONNECT. It creates nothing but problems,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report