Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching ducting to a grill in a linked file.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Engr4life
368 Views, 2 Replies

Attaching ducting to a grill in a linked file.

I like the feature in Revit to attach ducting to existing structures while automatically creating the correct fittings and inheriting their properties such as size and elevation. However, when the object, such as a grill, is in the linked architectural file, I can't get the ducting tool to recognize the grill that has been placed by the architect. Is there a way to adjust the settings of the linked file such that this is possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

No, at least not yet. Revit doesn't seem to recognize any of the connectors within families which reside in a linked Revit file.

Message 3 of 3

You can't directly connect any MEP items across linked files - circuits, piping, duct...but you can copy/monitor the air terminal in - the copy monitor tool is on the collaborate tab.

Select the tool, and then select the linked file.

when the dialog opens, you either copy manual, or use the automatic copy, which allows you to select air terminals, plumbing fixtures, etc.

Keep in mind that the air terminal family should include the same parameters as the ones you need for your schedule.

Keep an eye on the coordination review alerts, which tell you when a copy/monitored elements has been altered in the linked file.

let me know if this helps - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report