Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning materials to pipe for visual purposes (Copper, Cast Iron, PVC, etc).

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
davebillion
4054 Views, 9 Replies

Assigning materials to pipe for visual purposes (Copper, Cast Iron, PVC, etc).

I created a cast iron Material in the Manage tab/Settings panel/Materials tool.  I did the same for Copper and White PVC.

I am able to assign these materials to Cast Iron pipe fittings, Copper pipe fittings and PVC pipe fittings, respectively.

When graphics display is set to Shaded, cast iron fittings are flat black, copper fittings are Metallic orange(ish), and PVC is glossy white.  

In all cases, the pipe is standard gray.

Is it possible to assign the materials to the pipe?   In Object Styles, I can create Subcategories of Pipe.  Can I assign one of the sub categories to the pipe?

I don't see any of these options in the Pipe Types properties.  The Material option uner Pipe type properties refers to the material propertis in MEP Settings - for roughness, available sizes, connection types, schedule, etc.

I did try to assign the material to the piping system, but then the equipment / fixtures on that system also turned to cast iron, copper, or PVC.

Any thoughts?

Regards.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: davebillion

Hi Dave

Apologies for resurrecting an old post. 

I had the same problem and just found that under Object Styles: Pipes : Sub Categories you can add a material. 

Not fathomed out how to apply this Sub Category to the Pipe Types.....almost there....

Message 3 of 10
davebillion

Never got it.

I'm able to assign materials to the fittings.  So, I have copper, cast iron and pvc fittings that appear copper, black and white, respectively, connecting pipe.

I tried assigning to the system, but then the coils, fixtures, etc. turned to that material.  I've resigned to the idea that this may or may not be addressed in future versions of Revit.

Message 4 of 10
Hugh_Compton

There's a horrible work around here:

http://bizbim.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/assign-different-materials-for-pipes-in.html 

There has to be an easier way?

Message 5 of 10
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: Hugh_Compton

Hang Fire, I think I've just cracked it! (Noticed this whilst I was complaining in the WishList Forum)

When a piping segment (under settings) is first created there is a dialog that asks what material to make the pipe from - simply select a material and your good to go....

I've attached a jpeg for more information.  I've tested it with a multi-material valve attached to the pipe and the valve retains it's materials....I'll need to test this a bit more but it seems to work :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

That seems to work well, however, it also appears to be a double-edged sword - the Pipe Accesories retain their own Material, but then so do the Pipe Fittings...

ElbowMaterial.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 10
Hugh_Compton

That's an advantage for me, I define the fitting's materials in the fitting's families. 

Sometimes I need different materials on different parts of my fittings (As an example Plasson Compression Fittings have different colored bodies from thier sockets).

Message 8 of 10
dbillion

In response to Hugh, What version of Revit are you using?  I don't get that dialog when inserting pipe?

Message 9 of 10
Hugh_Compton

Hi Dave

I'm using Revit 2014 (Architecture, Structure and MEP all in one flavor....). 

This isn't a perfect solution since the name of the material will become the name of the pipe segment. 

Hope you can get it working...if you post your version of Revit maybe someone here would be able to see if it's possible for materials on Pipe Types without using Systems?

Message 10 of 10
dannett2B232

This is a great solution. I did it initially through the Pipe system dialogue box, but this overrides the appearance all of the fittings and accessories in the system. It's unfortunate that the settings are so hidden away though and that you can't change them later with out creating a new pipe segment and reassigning the system to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report