Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply parameter to array for text

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tbrown6608
1466 Views, 2 Replies

Apply parameter to array for text

I am trying to make my own symbol family for schedules. I want to make my own because I do not like the way the Revit schedules look. The way my company does schedules now is by inserting a completed schedule from CAD as this is our quickest way of getting it done. I am trying to do is make a symbol family to replace this practice to save time. What I am stuck on is text. I've gotten the rows to come in by an integer parameter applied to an array of a group of lines. Now I want to use the same parameter to control the quantity of text but when I array the text it comes in as a group which doesn't allow for each text to read differently. If I uncheck "Group and associate" I lose the ability to apply a parameter to the array. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get around this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbrown6608

I have been down that road and have explored it thoroughly. You will not be able to use Array and be able to input unique data for each line. Period. But here are two methods you can use:

1. Create the Header as a Family. Create a single line as another Family with Instance Parameters for each field of Data. You can copy/create additional lines as needed and input unique data for each line. Furthermore, you can rearrange the schedule and move the line around however you want.

2. Create the header and Family as a single Family with more lines than you will need. You can create an Integer Parameter to control the number of lines. Each line of data, though, would have to have a Yes/No Parameter that controls its visibility and a formula to tie to the Integer. For instance:

Parameter                 Formula

Line2 Visibility       = Total Lines > 1

Line3 Visibility       = Total Lines > 2

etc...

Revit's scheduling is very powerful (yes, it could definitely use improvement and more flexibility with its graphics) and I have accepted the less-appealing schedules in favor of their functionality. With some tweaking, I have gotten our schedules to look halfway decent. If you still choose to create manual schedules, I suggest importing from AutoCAD, as Revit's editing and text are extremely cumbersome. 

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
tbrown6608
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I did consider the Yes/No visibility parameter idea but not only would that be extremely tedious it would also conflict with what I was planning on doing with the vertical columns which was to apply a Yes/No parameter on the column's lines and text so I could remove them when they aren't needed.

I think, for now at least, using AutoCAD is the best means of scheduling for me. Maybe one day I'll accept the way Revit's schedules look. Thanks for your help with this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report