Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody use a TV for a monitor?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3670 Views, 12 Replies

Anybody use a TV for a monitor?

I have seen discussions about this on the Internet, but it seems like they are almost always in reference to gaming. When it comes to monitors, it seems like the bigger the better so you can see more of your work. But, how big becomes too big before you don't get any extra benefit? I guess if the monitor is bigger than necessary you can always scale the work down to a manageable size and drag it to a suitable location on the screen. But, with too large of a TV, resolution could also become an issue.

So, to the forum members, would a new flatscreen HDTV be a good idea? If yes, then would you prefer something in the 32", 40", 46", or 50" range, taking into consideration the ability to have multiple views open, maybe a Trane Trace load or a manufacturer's cut sheet, resolution, etc?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jkarben
in reply to: Anonymous

The resolution differences between a monitor and a television are quite different. Using a large TV at a close distance may not be effective and can cause strain. Sit a foot and a half away from your TV for a while and consider what you see. I wouldn't recommend it.

Message 3 of 13
abulla
in reply to: jkarben

A setup I've seen recently that I like a lot is a 30" monitor, or even 2 24", and then a 40" or so TV. The monitor is obviously the main display, and the TV is used for viewing full-sized drawings, pdfs, etc. I think the goal there is to eliminate paper markups and use strictly pdfs.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: abulla

Was the 40" TV useful at all for working on Revit models, or even Word documents?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

There a couple of differences that might be worth considering.

The first is the fact that my Revit models won't be moving like a TV show.

The other is the fact that just because I have more room to work with doesn't mean that I have to blow everything up to use all of the available space. I could shrink my work down to the size that I would see on a regular monitor. The difference is I would see a bigger piece of my model, or have several views open.
Message 6 of 13
jkarben

It's not about motion. The window size of the program is not relevant as well. It's about the difference in pixel per inch on a monitor vs. a television. The pixel size in a televisions can be much larger which will make the image more blurry at a close distance. The price is refelctive of the pixel density. Some may be able to tolerate it, other's may not. Just know there will be a difference. Make note of the resolution when considering a purchase. HD tv's get not better than 1920x1080 no matter the screen size. So as the size get's bigger the pixels get bigger.

We actually tried it wondering the same thing. We set up a test station with a large television as a monitor (don't recall the exact size it was something in the 32" to 36" range). We sat several of our users in front of it to do Revit and Ofice products. I don't recall even one liking it. Not as their main monitor at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

In that case, will this 27" monitor have good resolution?

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=4725415&pid=1218516242338

Message 8 of 13
chuckconley530

Just make sure the TV is 1080P and it has a high contract ratio. like 5,000,000:1 at the least. I used a 32" TV and it worked nicely.  example: http://applyazon.blogspot.com/2013/05/vizio-m321i-a2-m-series-razor-led-32.html

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: chuckconley530

My sugestion is NO TV, for exact reasons as mentioned before...DPI.

Look at the HP LP3065.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I use TV and Monitor, I recommend Monitor, I still use TV to be side of the Monitor to review the documents, PDF and specification not for Revit

Message 11 of 13
Andrew.Frey

I have a 27" Dell monitor that I use mostly for email, navisworks, file explorer. Next to that I have a 39ish" 4k Samsung LED TV. That's what I use to work on my Revit models. I love being able to tile the windows for plan, section, 3D, etc and I just appreciate being able to see the extra area around where I'm working. I'll sometimes split the window with Revit and AutoCAD too. I just like having the extra screen area. 

It's definitely personal preference though. My boss sits right next to me and he tried it out, and he didn't like it. He goes with 3 Dell monitors for his set up instead.

Message 12 of 13
bsammis
in reply to: Andrew.Frey

We use 50" TVs in smaller conference rooms, sometimes to view models internally, sometimes to share screens with remote consultants, and I've worked with firms that use them as their desktops once or twice.  I personally would probably hate having it on my desk, but it's useful for conference rooms.

Message 13 of 13
EddieB3

Hi.

If going bigger is your goal, I don't think you can get better than a HDTV.

Look for a Samsung HD screen with HDMI. Not too big though. I used a Mecer monitor and the pixels was awful! Just remember to keep the screen at the correct distance from you according to the size. Using a Samsung as a screen is awesome!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report