Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An unrecoverable error has occurred. The program will now be terminated.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
ukdxb012
16340 Views, 14 Replies

An unrecoverable error has occurred. The program will now be terminated.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this recently but we seem to have all of a sudden hit an issue in Revit 2014.

Everything was working as expected and then all of a sudden some of our Revit users are reporting the following error when starting Revit 2014. Basically It gets as far as the splash screen and then says...

"An unrecoverable error has occured. The program will now be terminated. All of your data has been recently saved, so there is no need to create recovery files".

We have tried the most obvious things like a repair, reinstall, uninstall and reinstall, clean uninstall and reinstall but still the issue persists!

Some posts i've read seem to instigate this is related to the login account. Has anyone tested this to prove it as its alot of work.

Does anyone have any advice?

I have done alot of searching on the internet regarding this and the following link is not helpful in 2014... http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/revit-2011-hangs-at-splash-screen-or-crashes-with-u... neither are graphic driver suggestions or applying the latst service pack because all this has been done.

I'm wondering if a windows update is causing this issue which affects the users login account or could it be an internal thing?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
TravisNave
in reply to: ukdxb012

My only thought is maybe check the Windows application log to see if there is any further information logged there beyond the error you see. 

eventvwr.msc

You could create another local admin account and try it logged in as that user.  See if you can replicate it.  That would let you know if it is a user profile issue or not. 

As for Windows Update, it is notorious for breaking things.  System Restore is your friend!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 15
ukdxb012

Hi Travis,

I haven't tried looking at the Windows application log yet but will pursue that once i've finished replying to you.

We did try to create new local admin and user profiles and relog on to those machines to see if we could replicate the issue. Unfortunately the new profiles had the same issue within them! Even on my test machine i have the issue, but whats weird is that it will now work in my user profile but not my admin. Really strange behaviour!!!

Also, we have already tried a system restore as far back as a week and half and the issue was still present, even though we know it was working then which is even more puzzling...

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 15
alan.quinn

Other than checking your Windows updates etc. did you try a Repair or Clean Un-install/ Re-install?

Message 5 of 15
ukdxb012

Hi Alan,

If you check my original post you will see that we have already tried the Repair and Clean Uninstall / Reinstall instructions.

I can try again if you can provide anything that i may have missed in the removal but im pretty sure i covered all ground and even referred to the following link... http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Installation_Help/enu/2014/Help/0161-Product_161/0446-Revit446/0448-Rev...

For the clean uninstall i removed the following:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2014

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2014

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT\2014

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit Server 2014

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Structural\Common Data\2014

C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2014

C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2014

C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2014

One thing i noticed was that i could not find a RVT2014ENUAdlm.log in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AdLM\RVT2014ENUAdlm.log Not sure if this means anything!

Further to this i also removed all 2014 Material Libraries from the machine via ARP.

I also deleted the following specific keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\2014\ObjectDBX

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\2014

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2014 and all the keys under this branch

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Revit\2014\ObjectDBX\aecProfile\Macros

Finally i deleted all files in the %Temp% location.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 15
ukdxb012

For anyone interested, please be aware of a current issue we have identified with the IFC Exporters released on Autodesk Exchange...

We have been testing and monitoring these for some time and unfortunately the current release is causing us a few problems.

Basically, when you install the above addons with Revit 2014, it will either corrupt Revit 2014 in the admin profile or corrupt both the user and admin profile. What we or i found on my machine was that Revit 2014 still worked as my user but if i right click the shortcut and do a "Run as administrator" Revit would crash. Something was clearly wrong.

Unfortunately If you try to uninstall the Exporters via Add, Remove Programs, the tools will uninstall but the issue will remain unfortunately. Revit 2014 will still crash.

What you need to do is reinstall the Exporters and instead of going to Add, Remove Programs, launch the tool again and select uninstall. When you uninstall them this way, Revit 2014 will start working again.

I've already raised this issue to Autodesk via web support and informed Angel Velez.

Hope this helps anybody experiencing this.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 15
a_clarke

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this but versions 3.4 and 3.5 of the "IFC Exporter for Revit 2014" are broken.

It appears to be a privileges issue with user accounts.

If you are an admin on the local machine it works, if not then as of version 3.4 it is broken and crashes Revit.

Version 3.3 appears to be ok.

Hope that helps narrow it down.

Message 8 of 15
ukdxb012

I'm glad someone else is having this issue because i thought i was going slightly mad! I can now at least sleep, for now...

Did you manage to lift the permissions on Revit 2014 after the install of the IFC Exporters to remove the problem? If so, where did you do this as we have tried and still it wouldnt work.

For us, this problem isn't consistent but something definately happens when you install the latest versions of the IFC Exporters.

As soon as these are installed on a machine with Revit 2014, either Revit in the user account or in the admin account becomes broken. Removing these fixes the issue.

Unfortunately i have had to test this the hard way by interrogating Revit in the user and admin accounts each time we installed a addin. When it came to the last one (IFC Exporters) it didnt like it!

It has been suggested that this issue doesnt happen when using Standalone Revit 2014 rather than Networked or when you install Revit 2014 with content rather than installing without (which is ourt preffered method due to shared content).

Generally, we always install Revit with a custom Revit.ini file and standard content located on a shared drive. We never include content as it slows down the install process. Particularly now that Revit 2014 goes off to the internet to download it each time you install.

At first i thought it could be related to the Revit.ini as in Revit 2013 we used the inifile.xml which worked fine, but now doesn't in Revit 2014!!!

Do the IFC Exporters rely on local content on the users machine?

Regards,

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 9 of 15
ukdxb012

For those interested, please check out the following link which was passed to me today... http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/revit-2014-crash-on-initial-startup-fix.html

There are some suggestions made on here which could fix the problem related to the IFC Exporter UI 2014.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 10 of 15

Hi Duncan,

Thankyou for the posts. Im having trouble with 2014 crashing when I got into the materials library...Im using RvtArchitecture not MEP but I believe its the same problem. I will post if these leads are successful is solving crashing

Message 11 of 15
gvera

I had the same issue, and I tried everything you all mentioned with absolutely no result.

I right clicked the icon on my desktop

clicked on run with graphics processor

clicked on integrated graphics instead of the default

problem fixed!! ive been using it all day with no problems. 

I hope this helps!

Message 12 of 15
jomanu717

Uncheck the Hardware Acceleration 

and try,   pls find the attached image

Message 13 of 15
qinhong712

what is exporters?

Message 14 of 15
qinhong712

i really need help , i had been using my Revit 2014 for almost a year and this error occur today when i am clicking the wall , the error message keep pops out. I am trying on your solution but i am stuck at the reinstalling the exporters part. Please reply me asap ......i really need help thank alot
Message 15 of 15

I think , you have to create a new account in manage accounts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report