Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Flex Conduits??

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jmlarias
2197 Views, 13 Replies

Alternative to Flex Conduits??

Ok, I took a deep breath and tried to emulate a flexible conduit and failed, and failed and still failing. I'd like to know if anyone can give me a hint of how to draw in the 3d model the electrical conduits and how to get the length from them once created. I've tried to use in-place modeling but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea (File size in long term use or large projects). Right now I'm sweeping (At least trying) generic in-place models from Lighting fixtures to switches. ALL recommendations are welcome.

(I moved out to France and here we use A LOT flexible conduits)

Thanks in advance!!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jmlarias
in reply to: jmlarias

BTW this is the most I could get (Attached File). I use an in-place model to draw a spline form the lamp to the switch. I can control the diameter in the model with a dimension label parameter but, what would make this useful at all would be getting the length of each model in a schedule.

I hope some day the electrical flex conduit will be available !

😞

Spline Length.png

Message 3 of 14
DMaurer-Veca

Our Revit MEP project is a mixed use building with two levels of parking, four levels of residential (wood framed), and 40,000 sq ft of commercial tenant space. We will be installing multi-conductor, service rated cable, to each residential electrical panel. Starting with a generic conduit family (without fittings) I saved it as SER cable. I was able to model the cable (although it looks like 1" PVC pipe) from the meter center, through and across the various floors to each resi panel. Selecting the entire, I run named it the same as the panel it was serving. This allowed me to create a schedule which listed the length from beginning to end. Although, I am not able to show the cables length in the plan view, but this is not important to me.

Diane M
Message 4 of 14
jmlarias
in reply to: DMaurer-Veca

Thank you for your answer. My problem is how to emulate a flex conduit and get the length from it. To get the length of the normal conduit runs, there are many posts that explain that but, I know already how deal with the normal runs

I've been searching and I've found a "possible" solution. It is something about creating a family line based and an "egress path" parameter based solution. Sounds COMPLICATED ! ! (But I will try it anyways)

Thanks anyways DMaurer-Veca.

Message 5 of 14
myeager171

I've run into the same issue and found this post looking for a solution. Did the 'egress path' parameter work? If so can you help me out???

Thanks Michael

Message 6 of 14
KotairaKeila
in reply to: myeager171

I have opened a request to be voted on regarding the existence of the flexible conduit, to avoid the alternative use of flex pipes for plumbing purposes or generic adaptive components. Who knows, if more people vote, this old request is prioritized. If you agree too, please, help by voting at the link below:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/flex-conduits/idi-p/8794216?advanced=false&collapse_discu...

Message 7 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: KotairaKeila

@KotairaKeila wrote:

flexible conduit, to avoid the alternative use of flex pipes for plumbing purposes

Have you ever tried using flex pipes or ducts? They are not good for longer lengths like PEX pipe or conduits. Most try to mimic the flex routing with rigid elements for the runs and short lengths of flex or long radius rigid for bends.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 14
s.borello

Are you trying to model MC?  Revit can't at the moment... try using flex pipe if you must model it. 

Message 9 of 14
KotairaKeila

Yep,  Revit can't at the moment...  that's why I posted a request.

Message 10 of 14
RobDraw

Did you even consider that it's probably been requested multiple times in the past. It's not like this is new thing.

Rob

Message 11 of 14
KotairaKeila
in reply to: RobDraw

No it's not a new request, I know. Again, I'm sorry to bother you, Rob, that's not the point.

As the alternative for flex conduit with an adaptive component, I was talking about this:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/flex-conduits/m-p/6390701?advanced=false&col...

It was accepted as solution as an adaptive component for now. I know that it is not new issue. But sometimes, do better something old, would be nice. I think as, for now, if more people ask for a real solution, maybe then they would prioritize it.

Message 12 of 14
RobDraw

This isn't the forum for that. If you want to post an IDEA and bring attention to it, that's up to you but there is no need to necromance old threads. Just make your own. That way people like me who have no interest in the IDEAS forum can ignore the thread. Spamming the forum is in bad taste.

Rob

Message 13 of 14
KotairaKeila
in reply to: RobDraw

It was already solved here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/flex-conduits/m-p/6390701?advanced=false&col...

And I got it, Rob. Just do not be so angry...

Message 14 of 14
RobDraw

@KotairaKeila wrote:

It was already solved here:

Then you can take down your "idea", right? It's not needed.

@KotairaKeila wrote:

And I got it, Rob. Just do not be so angry...

Your projecting.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report