Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align Tool no long works in a linked Revit Model

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Melissa.Stewart
2104 Views, 13 Replies

Align Tool no long works in a linked Revit Model

In a Revit (one Box) R.2 the align tool no longer selects the grids or reference lines through a linked project. In our test with an OOTB revit Construction and systems template we could not align a light to a ceiling grid. In other tests an MEP Toilet Fixture would not align to the architectural position.  Please see the screen caputres of my Revit Version (R.2 from subscription) and the screen caps of the issue. 

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dbutts7
in reply to: Melissa.Stewart

Can you select the grid using a tab selection, if the grid is in a linked file?

How is the ceiling grid defined - as an in place pattern, or as a ceiling object?

I'm assuming it was working before you applied R2 - is this correct?

Do any of the families used symbol lines for plan views, or have nested families?

It might be a defect, but I haven't seen that one yet...

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Autodesk Expert Elite

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

Message 3 of 14
Melissa.Stewart
in reply to: dbutts7

You can tab all you like, but it doesn't grab anything other than that Datum/center line of the ceiling. (Per images) Ceilings and ceiling types and ceiling objects are all OOTB. No variations. OOTB Revit w/o a custom ini.

We discovered it on a project, so we tested it on several machines (All R2) with all OOTB components. No Luck. 

Yes this worked prior to the R2 update. Only way to align ceiling objects with grid is to move or re-host.

Message 4 of 14
dbutts7

I'm going to try it on my end - first thought is to check the selection options under the Modify tab (either Select elements by face, or select underlay elements) to make sure they didn't get turned off. R2 update might have changed the default settings, which just happened on one of my updated workstations.

If this isn't it, let me know if you can post an example. I'll test it and see what's happening, and if I can replicate it.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

Message 5 of 14
ChristopherLindo

Thanks for looking into this. I am the one who brought this to the attention of Melissa.

I will attach jpeg examples of the issue. The first attached jpeg (2014 - No Issue.jpg) is a snap shot of a model using Revit 2014 and its linked background with all the selection options under modify turned on. In the jpeg, I am able to select the mid reference planes just fine while I am in the align tool. The one I am aligning to (the top) is from a linked revit model. The one I am trying to align (the bottom) is a fixture I have in my model. These two families are exact copies of one another, nothing has changed between them.

The second jpeg (2015 - Has Issue.jpg), is set up the exact same way as the 2014 model, except that this is in Revit 2015. In this example, I am unable to find the mid reference plane to align to. Nothing has changed between the 2014 model and the 2015 model. Same fixture families. Same selection options.

Hopefully that gives some more insight. Thank you.

Message 6 of 14

I cannot recreate the aligning issue. See the attached files. Open the MEP and link in the Const. Test aligning the fixtures, you sould be able to align the host to the link and the link to host. If this is only happening in your files can you please upload.

Thanks for posting.

Message 7 of 14

Thank you for looking into this. Unfortunately I am still unable to select the middle reference line in the linked fixture using the models you provided. I have provided sample models that use our specific fixtures, however seeing that I can produce the same issue in the models you provided tells me it may not be the models/files. I have checked the settings I have for selection and turned on all of my snaps as well.

Again, we are working in 2015 with the R2 update.

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 14
dbutts7
in reply to: ChristopherLindo

Before doing anything else, let's make sure there's not an issue with the linked file. It may take a little work (possibly including rehosting families, and redefining spaces). Detach the architectural model, and reattach it again. That would be my last big test before sending the files off.

Was the architectural model opened in R2 prior to opening the MEP? Sometimes a version update can cause some hiccups as well. It's rare, but we have seen errors in hosts when upgrading in the past - even when the base app doesn't change.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 9 of 14
ChristopherLindo

Hello,

I apologize for the late-ish reply. Holiday weekend and all.

Idid as suggested; completely moving the link and relinking the background. I also opened the Architectural background and saved it as a new project in R2 of Revit 2015. Unfortunately, neither of these produced better results. I was still unable to align the fixture to the reference plane I wanted.

It will allow me to pick a select one or two reference planes but not the one I really want. Again, this is not an issue in 2014.

Message 10 of 14
dbutts7
in reply to: ChristopherLindo

Ok, I've downloaded the files and will check it out. It may be this evening before I can take a look, so I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 11 of 14
Melissa.Stewart

Don't worry about it. - Autodesk opened a case for it, it seems it was the program i have a development case number. On the brightside there seem to be a work around they can provide. 

Message 12 of 14
dbutts7

Now it's really got my curiousity up...as soon as I walk away form a case, that's when it happens in our house Smiley Very Happy

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 13 of 14

Was there ever a solution for this?  I am encountering the same problem right now

Message 14 of 14

It was hit or miss, any models we encountered that had the issue went to Autodesk where they did magic and fixed them. But we never got a public DIY solution.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report