Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Terminal Family Issue

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mark.silcock
882 Views, 9 Replies

Air Terminal Family Issue

Hi guys

Working on a grille family and have come across an odd issue that I can’t work out.

The grille seems to work fine, when changing the size it updates about the centre of the grille face and in the family the ref planes through the centre are defined as origins. The problem is when I connect to the family the whole grille jumps over to a new position, the flex or duct is clearly not connected in the 3D object sense, but Revit thinks it is connected logically.

This is the fourth grille I have created using the same procedure and the rest work fine.

Screen grab of what happens.

Click here

To confuse things more, it only happens when the flex is the same diameter as the spigot on the grille, it is puts a reducer in then the grille doesn’t more. 

Grille Family.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers

MS

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mark.silcock

This is a nicely detailed post, but would you be able to post the actual .rfa family file? Also, which version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
mark.silcock
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Sure, RMEP 2013

Family attached.

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

I'm not able to reproduce the situation in which the grille moves, but I do see the incorrect appearance of the flex duct connection. It appeared correct at first, but as soon as I click and dragged the grille, the flex connection got jumbled. You mentioned that it seems to work correctly when a reducer is used - try going to such an instance and move the grille. Does the apparent connection get messed up?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
mark.silcock

yes as soon as I drag the grille the connection bugs out
Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

I cannot find the cause of this behavior. I removed the nested Family and recreated the Connector a) horizontally to a new extrusion and b) vertically directly to the grille. In both cases, the buggy behavior remained. From what template/file was this Family created?

Message 7 of 10
mark.silcock

Original family came from here http://www.productspec.net/products/25825/holyoake-industries-ltd/exhaust-and-return-grille-ec-125.a...

Also started on another family using a grille family from the same supplier and it is doing the same thing so must be something in their creation.

Attached the families as well.

I notice in the original if you add a room calc point it is situated at the bottom left hand corner not the centre of the grille. I also notice the room calc point can’t be moved so is that always at Revit’s 0,0,0 equivalent?

Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

This issue should be brought up with the supplier. Surely, someone has encountered this before and perhaps they have a remedy. Maybe they have a program that write their Families and that causes this odd behavior.

It's for reasons such as this that I don't use Families from suppliers unless there are huge time constraints - I always build my own. I believe that many of these Families are created by people who learned how to use the Family Editor to create Families, but wouldn't know how to use them in a Project.

Message 9 of 10
mark.silcock

I in my experience there is always huge time constraints and management don't like time being put to creating families 🙂

But I agree that it is disappointing the number of errors found within supplies families.
Message 10 of 10
mark.silcock

Ok so I went back the the original family and made sure the ref lines through the centre of the grille where defined as th e origin. That seems to have sorted it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report