Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Visibility Parameter to Void Extrusion

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
lsop1409
27675 Views, 16 Replies

Add Visibility Parameter to Void Extrusion

Does anybody know of a way to add a visibility parameter to a void extrusion, as I would like to combine a number of family types with different voids into 1 family file. The same way that parameters can be assigned to standard extrusions.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: lsop1409

There is no way to control the Visibility of a Void. The best you can do is to add parametric constraints to the Void Extrusion so that it does not penetrate the target Solid Extrusion under the conditions specified by the formula.

On a side note, having multiple Void Extrusions will likely bloat the file's size quite a bit. If you could shared the details about what you are doing here, perhaps we can find a better means of accomplishing this.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 17
lsop1409
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey, thanks for the advice on void extrusions affecting the files size as this is very relevant in my situation.

I am creating electrical socket families so there will be a large number of instances in every project. I was going to use voids for the actual sockets as attached on a double outlet. Would I be better using standard extrusions to represent a 'hole' (the extrusion sticking out, say, 1mm? to represent this or use lines to represent the details.

Is there a major difference in the memory used for standard extrusions as opposed to void extrusions.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 17
CoreyDaun

There are a could of strategies one can possible apply here:

a.) Create each hole as a Split Face and then Paint a dedicated pitch-black Material to it.¹

b.) Include the holes in the Extrusion Profile of the faceplate.¹

c.) Use Model Lines OR Detail Lines to represent the holes.

d.) Use Void Extrusions to create the holes.

e.) As you said, create an thin Extrusion to represent the holes, instead of a Void.²

f.) Decide that modeling the holes would be "over-detailing" and omit them from the Family.

¹ If you wish to parametrically control the amount of holes in the Family, options a and b will NOT allow you to remove or hide any of the holes.

² If you employ option e, then set the Left/Right & Front/Back visibility settings under V/G Overrides for those Extrusions to NOT visible so you do not see the tiny protrusion when viewing the Family from the side or top.

lsop1409 wrote:

"...Is there a major difference in the memory used for standard extrusions as opposed to void extrusions.

Thanks."

You can test this by simply creating the Void Extrusions in the Family as planned, and then performing a Save As so you can compare the file sizes.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 17
lsop1409
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The differences in file sizes were only 12kb for a single socket and 16kb for a double socket, with voids added or removed, so I will leave them in for now.

Maybe on a very large project this will make a major difference in performance. If this is the case in the future I will omit the details as you suggested as they have a symbol representation to determine the type etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Message 6 of 17
lee_rawlinson

I know this is an old post however I have found a very simple solution.
1. Create a new family called eg “void_cut” using a face based template
2. In ref level add reference planes to control width & depth
3. In front view add height reference plane - note this will need to be below the ref level
4. Dimension between all three reference planes and link to instance parameter dimensions
5. Create void extrusion locking to all reference planes.
6. Important step...in 3D view you need to cut the void from the face.
7. Save family and insert as nested family into your main family.
8. As void faced based family, place on extrusion which you want to cut with the void
8. Lock void family to reference planes in main family so you control the void dims.
9. Link void family to visibility parameter and you’ll be able to control the void on or off

Message 7 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: lee_rawlinson

Or, simply use the solution by @CoreyDaun, and add a Visibility parameter with a formula link the dimension of the void, such as  if box is ticked then the void dim = X (cut the geometry), if box is clear then void dim = Y (not touching geometry).

Using a face based void works out of the box, but it is limited to cutting one host, and you can't quite rotate it quite easily except on the host plane.

Message 8 of 17
carmine.rago
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN what should it be the formula?

I don't get how to write the syntax properly

Message 9 of 17
kevin
in reply to: carmine.rago

a simple formula like this would be sufficient:

if("Void", reference dim = x, reference dim = y)

Diagram.png

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

tried this. because the void is no longer cutting anything I get an error message thrown back along the lines of "void no longer cutting anything, void will be deleted. Thing is I don't want it deleted in all instances. one way around it would be to do 2 families, one with the void, one without but I'm trying to do one family and its types can cover all situations.

My case is a door with a vision panel. I want the vision panel to be an instance parameter so I can turn it off and on and schedule it up in my door schedules.

Message 11 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

tried this. because the void is no longer cutting anything I get an error message thrown back along the lines of "void no longer cutting anything, void will be deleted. Thing is I don't want it deleted in all instances. one way around it would be to do 2 families, one with the void, one without but I'm trying to do one family and its types can cover all situations.

My case is a door with a vision panel. I want the vision panel to be an instance parameter so I can turn it off and on and schedule it up in my door schedules.

If the void is create in the same family the door panel is created then it won't get deleted even when it does not cut anything.  It only happens when they are nested families.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Yeah the void is in the same family as the door panel. Then that's in the door family with parameters controlling the void position. Still don't feel like it's the best way though. Seen other forums where the void can have unexpected effects on other nearby items when moved out of the panel. 

Message 13 of 17

This answer sounds like a solution to a family I'm trying to create. I've created the Void family and inserted it into my main Family however its not cutting the main family. I made sure when creating the Void to cut the face and when I inserted its exactly what I need if I could get it to cut the main Family

Message 14 of 17
skJMGQP

Easy fix: I wanted to have a yes/no parameter control the visibility of the void extrusion. Even though you cant control the visibility of the void, you CAN assign the same yes/no parameter to the "Cuts Geometry" parameter of the void. So when it is on, it will cut, and if it is off, it will not, thus giving you the same effect of turning the visibility on or off. I am using Revit 2022. 

Message 15 of 17
lee_rawlinson
in reply to: skJMGQP

You are a genius thanks!!...I never realised you could link the "Cuts Geometry" to a yes/no parameter...this saves so many formulas controlling the position and will save so much time and effort as it's simple thanks!

Message 16 of 17
skJMGQP
in reply to: lee_rawlinson

Glad you were able to find it so far down the list... the solutions above are far from "simple"

Message 17 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: skJMGQP

@skJMGQP wrote:

Glad you were able to find it so far down the list... the solutions above are far from "simple"

It is because the Cuts Geometry option for Voids wasn't available when the topic initiated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report