Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Generic Zones in Revit/Revit MEP

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lsop1409
770 Views, 4 Replies

3D Generic Zones in Revit/Revit MEP

Hi

I need to create a model that shows generic zones for my services. i.e. A model showing corridor 'extrusions' for ductwork, pipework, containment and a lighting zone, all shown as different colours. This is to show a conceptual design model/general routing of services.

I can only think of doing this using ductwork to represent each zone and applying filters for the colours and applying a medium detail level (to remove flanges etc), as the ductwork cannot look like ductwork and needs to look like an extrusion.

Does revit/revit mep have any functionality to provide general 3D zoning/extrusion, does anyone know of a better way to achieve the above?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
abulla
in reply to: lsop1409

I would think an In-Place Mass would work for this purpose, maybe make them different materials to distinguish the different systems.

Message 3 of 5
lsop1409
in reply to: abulla

Thanks, i am not familiar with masses. I have only seen 'create a new conceptual mass' option when you want to create a new file, could you point me in the right direction please?

Message 4 of 5
abulla
in reply to: lsop1409

Sure, it's under the Architecture tab in 2012 (it's under Massing & Site in 2013), then In-Place Mass. Sketch it like you would an extrusion, then you can move it to the levels you want, and assign a material to it. I used different glass materials because of the transparency.

Message 5 of 5
julianjameson8403
in reply to: abulla

But bear in mind that it is good practice to create masses for each zone you are trying to indicate on each floor. you shouldn't copy the same in-place mass from one floor to another otherwise you will have problems when you come to edit them later on - as the design will undoubtedly change between now and then.

The intention of an in-place mass is that it is a "one-off" family that doesn't repeat in the model. 

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report