Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 custom cable tray

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kstokes95
3815 Views, 9 Replies

2011 custom cable tray

I am trying to creat a custum ladder cable tray but am having trouble loading it in to the cable trya family type. Which fittin am i supposed to substitute it for? Union?

Evrytime I try it draws the out of the box tray. If i try and modify the profile it uses, no change. Any help with this will be great

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ltuss
in reply to: kstokes95

In the Type Properties of the Cable Tray the Fittings are the only change that can be made.The Cable Tray Types are system families that cannot be modified.

Message 3 of 10
kstokes95

is it possible to create a customn cable tray family and have it act like the system cable tray family? I have a family made and I want to be able to draw using that family instead of a default one. I can change the fittings (elbows, tees,etc. but the main runs of tray I can not change to a custom family. Is this possible?

Message 4 of 10
ltuss

Unfortunately your custom family will not inherit the system parameters for cable tray. In the Family editor the only category assignment is cable tray fitting. In the project setting  the procedure would be very tedious and not a high ROI. You possibly could model using your fittings with an existing cable tray and manually insert your custom cable family matching the linear run.

Message 5 of 10
Martin__Schmid

If I may ask, what is uniquely needed about the tray family you created vs. the built-in ones?  This is a graphical representation issue, does it affect your ability to convey design intent, etc?

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
kstokes95

Inorder to creat shop drawings we nee to have custom trays based on manufactures cut sheets. The one I have created has verticle acurate rung positioning within the tray, clearance area, and hanger racks that automatically place depending on custom spacing variable. but I can't set it as a linear run with in a conduit family

Message 7 of 10
Martin__Schmid

Interesting.. yes, for such purposes you'll need to be creative... as indicated, the tray segments are system families that are not editable, however, you could define them as cable tray fittings (or any family category for that matter) to have more control over their details... routing becomes more cumbersome, however, you could leverage the API to swap out 'our' Cable Tray system family segments with your user defined family.. such a workflow would be:

1. Model cable tray using our segments and your fittings (for elbows, crosses, tees, etc), this would make it easier to get the main routing done.

2.  Use the API to find the endpoints of each Cable Tray segment, delete the tray, and insert your family representing the cable tray segment in its place.

Jeremy posts some sample code as to how you can get at the details of Conduit and Pipe via the API, similar concepts could apply to getting at the details of the Cable Tray segments... it's at least a start:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2010/05/pipe-to-conduit-converter.html

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
cdsuggs
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Some of us use Revit for coordination and the OOB cable tray families are too generic.

Message 9 of 10

we need clearance zones around the cable tray with collision detection capability in navisworks 

Message 10 of 10
dtiemeyer
in reply to: dbrown-uskh

PLUS 1 to that last post - Cable Tray clearances would be a HUGE benefit. Multiple Clearance options are necessary - sides and above/below, with full control of size/position/graphics.
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report