Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishes 2010 and beyond

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mikey3468
231 Views, 4 Replies

Wishes 2010 and beyond

where do you start..AutoDesk needs to hire some electrical and mechanical designers / drafters / engineers that are familiar with the industry to help develop their product not a sales team, as for the line "you cannot talk to the developers you will not understand each other" Bull I have worked with developers for software on other platforms in the past and developed great working relationships. So for wish #1 hire someone with some knoweldge of the industry. As for one-lines this is an imporant key but does no good until you can link distribution panels togerther from floor to floor and closet to closet with conduit and wire but as long as the work-a-round is to use pipe for conduit that is not going to happen, for autodesk the sky sould be the limit unfortauneuly the sales person is not an engineer and a developer is not an engineer the only way to get this software correct is to create some kind of relationsips with consumers and the product staff along with developers. Another wish is for someone to read a code book (NEC) so the commands revit complets is not a code violation, provide panelboard with working clearance boxes, provide conduit with fill rations, de-rating for conductors as well as heat, proper demand ratings within panel schedules for lighting receptacles and equipment loads that are actually usable, provide out of the box conduit, cable tray, and distribution panels for multiple systems, voltages, phases, etc., and lighting calculations that actual provide actual footcandles on the plan in the space indicated how can I provide egress lighting calcualtions to the AHJ when the software does not give me point by point on plan to submit I still need to use a third parth software to develop these. I guess my wish is to have an out of the box USABLE product without having to creat custom content that might not work with the next release. Sorry I will get off of my soapbox now.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
IanMatthews
in reply to: mikey3468

"AutoDesk needs to hire some electrical and mechanical designers/drafters/engineers that are familiar with the industry to help develop their product".

Too much to ask for I guess. But could Autodesk confirm that they have such people on board?

And could they also agree not to accredit re-sellers for MEP unless they had someone with solid building services experience working for them? These guys are selling a product for developing services designs and they almost invariably have no-one on the payroll who has services design experience. Knowing how the software works and using it in a practical sense on real-life contracts are two completely different things.
Message 3 of 5
scritz

Autodesk does have engineers for development of the product but I think they are not using them in the best way. If it were my product, I would take completed projects from MEP firms from the states with the strictest codes and have them enter all the info that was in cad and make it all Revit. I'd have multiple Engineers doing different projects, for example. One Engineer/Reviteer for each of the following: Prison, High School, Hospital, Large College, Restaurant, Commercial Building, Warehouse, Track Home etc. While they are re-creating these they run into many issues with lack of content and all other things Revit is poor at and by the time it is all done, a massive Library would have been formed that would include full fire alarm and Nurse call devices and how they are circuited and lots of inadequicies worked out of the system.

I also get the feeling that Massachusets or perhaps all the east coast design standards are a lot different from the west and the rest of the world. Message was edited by: scritz
Message 4 of 5
cwade

Yes, they need California Engineers!
Message 5 of 5
amitverma

They need Indian Engineers too

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report