Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unselectable links

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
revitman
2025 Views, 7 Replies

Unselectable links

It would be great if there was a way to make linked model unselectable. It seems like I am constantly accidentally grabbing the arch. model while trying to grab something else. Pinning the linked model only prevents it from being moved, I want it to be unselectable. Does anyone else find this frustrating?

We never need to touch the arch. model itself, so it seems like it would make sense to have a choice somewhere that would make it unselectable.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
msoren
in reply to: revitman

I completely agree It is very frustrating trying to select only the discipline that I am working on and having to wait for Revit to select the entire model and then waiting to deselect it before I can continue.
Message 3 of 8
dracri

I can give you some examples when you need to touch the arch. model, when you need to copy a wall, a ceiling as your place holders for wall/ceiling based elements you need to place (is the way you need to do in 2008 don't know in 2009)
Message 4 of 8
PHristov

There are couple ways to accomplish this.

1. You can log in as a "User X" create a workset Links and put the linked files on it. Save to Central without Relinquishing. Go back and log in with your normal login. You will still be able to select the links but not modify them.
2. Create Design Option and put the link in it. You will not be able to even select the file.

Regards,
Paul Hristov
Ideate,Inc
Message 5 of 8
Jrobker

I totally agree. What a waste of time. Unselectable links is the only way to go. make it a choice though. You can uncheck or check the option.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 8
LKJones

So this isn't currently an option? Rats, I was hoping I just hadn't found it yet. They really, really need to make links lockable, as they are in AutoCAD (yes, I realize they don't want Revit to be like AutoCAD). Sometimes it seems like I spend half my day is spent waiting for the Arch plan to move, then cancel so it moves back. Very, very irritating.
Message 7 of 8
aaron

LKJones you missed the solution further up the list of replies. PHristov second option works perfectly and will solve your problem revitman. Create a design option and add any links you don't want to be able to select to the option. Switch back to the main model design option and the links will now be totally unselectable. Thanks very much PHristov, that solves a problem I have been struggling with for a while now.

Message 8 of 8

We use option #2 and have used it for a long time, it works great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report