cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
CoreyDaun
5220 Views, 8 Replies

Split Ceiling

I would like to be able to split a ceiling element into one or more separate elements. Maybe this is possible with Revit Arch, but I don't know. We have many ceiling hosted devices and it is a pain when the architect decides to put in a divide or change in a ceiling. I can draw two separate boundary sections, but the pattern remains unified.

On another note, is it just me or does it feel like making a post in this forum seem as useful as throwing a coin into a fountain? At least posting a message is less expensive...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
asommer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Definitely Coin in a Fountain, but you can count on your little Green friends.

How are you doing the ceilings?  Are you modifying the Arch ceilings in the LINK, or are you Copy/Monitoring the ceilings and making the changes in your model?  You should be able to modify the ceiling pattern by just moving the pattern.  They would have to be Two SEPARATE ceilings, though, not just two boundaries in one.

Message 3 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: asommer

I always appreciate the input of our distinguished members of the community. Our ceilings were copied from the Architect's Link into ours (they were supposed to be 100% done with them, but we know that statement means nothing). "Copy/no-Monitor" technically, as you cannot monitor ceilings. But one day......

Anyway, we control the grids just fine - it's when the Architect decides to break up the ceiling in a particular area with soffits, effectively creating multiple smaller ceilings that have different grid pattern alignments. The command I was referring to would allow me to select that ceiling and draw a dividing line (or something) to create two separate ceiling entities and also preserve our precious ceiling-hosted elements.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 9
asommer

I don't think you can "Split" the ceiling and keep the hosting.  It will choose one ceiling or the other (whichever one keeps the element ID) to keep the items hosted, and you will have to re-host the others.

Boy, that has to be a chore on a larger project (Copying all the ceilings).  I did see a post earlier this year about modifying Ceiling or Wall hosted items to Face hosted.  If I find it, I'll post it.

Revit is soooooo easy for architects, but MEP models look soooooo much cooler in 3D!

Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

What I currently do is copy the ceiling and devices off to the side, modify the original ceiling, modify the 'new' ceiling, and then move it back into place. I was just submitting this idea into this Wishlist forum in hopes of one day acquiring a simple tool for the job. But currently, just about all I hear in this forum is my own echo. And I think I've seen a tumbleweed or two roll through...

Message 6 of 9
CoreyDaun

And about converting our devices to Face Based: We have determined that since we almost always control the actual ceiling grids, it would be more valuable to have our lights and devices move and associate with said grid lines. Being able to shift a grid line and have everything (lights, occ sensors, sprinkler heads, etc.) stay within the grid is great.

Message 7 of 9
adam.jw

I'm not a tumbleweed!

in reply to: adam.jw

Indeed. I was referring to:    TumbleweedID.JPG

I was actually hoping that the comment would prompt an Autodesk person to reply, verifying that this forum is at least glanced at occasionally. I know that they have many other sources, but this shouldn't be ignored - after all, they created this forum...

Message 9 of 9
CoreyDaun

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to be able to split a ceiling element into one or more separate elements. Maybe this is possible with Revit Arch, but I don't know. We have many ceiling hosted devices and it is a pain when the architect decides to put in a divide or change in a ceiling. I can draw two separate boundary sections, but the pattern remains unified.

Now that the architect has decided to "undo" the soffit divisions in the ceiling, I would like to request a "Merge Ceilings" function as well...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report