Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piping Visibility by Pipe Size

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
eklemme
1021 Views, 6 Replies

Piping Visibility by Pipe Size

Standard practice in Drafting Piping is to double line large pipes (>2" or 3") and single line the smaller pipe diameters. It would be a large step forward if we could do the same in Revit MEP. Being able to apply a filter that reads the pipe size and puts it to a course line weight should be an easy fix. If we could just add the column for Detail Level to the Filters Tab that would solve the issue.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hmunsell
in reply to: eklemme

Not in the same file that i know of....

Unless anyone has a better way, what i usually do is put my smaller pipe in a different model, so I have 2 Mechanical models one for small pipe and one for larger pipe. You can link the smaller pipe model to the larger pipe model and using the VG, Revit Links settings, set the detail level to the link from "By Host View" to "Coarse". This will allow you to display smaller pipe as single line while having the larger pipe double line.

hope this helps....

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mark.silcock

Absolutely agree!

Also the ability of having the single line pipe work to display in the apropriate lietype and the double line pipe in solid line.

Why Revit MEP doesnt mirror Autocad MEP is beyond me, they are from the same company trying to do the same thing!

Message 4 of 7
eklemme
in reply to: mark.silcock

RMH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 5 of 7
thombrady

Speaking on the other side of things as an installer why not show all the pipes in double line. Especially when a 3/4" line gets 2" of insulation A.A. & this basically makes it a 5" pipe. It drives me crazy when I see (4) 4" round or bigger hvac pipes drawn single line 6" center to center when you need at least 12" center to center. Just saying. I do understand though that certain applications do not get the insulation & that single line would be better.

Message 6 of 7
eklemme

I completely agree with you about making sure that the center to center spacing of pipes with insulation is a priority. Bad design practices should never be allowed.

The issue I have found with all double line pipe at 1/8" scale is that the drawing gets two busy and is much harder to read.

Finding a clean simple way for designers to show design intent visually should be an asset all around.

Message 7 of 7
hmunsell

Eklemme, you beat me to it… I was in the middle of typing my reply when I saw yours pop up….. J

Agreed, if you’re getting plans like that, that is just bad design practices on whoever sent it’s part. Especially when it is easy enough to add the insulation in Revit.  

We do a lot of Facilities work where the majority of the pipe is under 1 1/2”. Luckily, to my knowledge, most of ours do not need to be heavily insulated. On a large facility, if it was all double lines at the standard scale, the drawing would just be unreadable. So we typically do Single line plan views with enlarged views of tight areas that are typically all double lined pipe.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report