Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More advanced systems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
joefields
462 Views, 5 Replies

More advanced systems

Simply put, we need more systems or the ability to define our own. You may be able to cover the basics by adding more types of systems but there will always be a need for someone to make their own custom systems. Just to name a few that I can think of.

Hydronic:
- Steam (Low, medium, and high pressure)
- Hot water
- Chilled water
- Condenser water
- Refrigerant

Plumbing:
- Hot water recirc
- Hot water (110, 140, 180 degree)
- Natural gas
- Drain/Condensate drain
- Fuel oil
- Compressed air

If we can make our own custom systems we could define them with a certain type or category like Hydronic or Domestic Water.
Joe Fields PE, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Engineer and C# Enthusiast
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
adam.jw
in reply to: joefields

Been wanting this for years. Was looking for old threads that requested it. Count me in as one of the requesters.

Natural Gas piping is pretty common. Actually, not just pretty common. It's literally on 99% of the buildings we design. Why is it not a default system classification?

Ever designed a shop? Compressed air system classification would be nice. As would fuel oil.

I'm not going to bump EVERY old thread (because I'll probably get warned/banned), but I think it's nice to remind the product team that there are still some big holes missing from a complete MEP building information modeling software package.

in reply to: joefields

+1

You know its sad when an add in to AutoCAD is better than REVIT in many ways.

*cough*Designmaster*cough*

Message 4 of 6
adam.jw
in reply to: zachrohlfs

I just googled that.

Interesting. But is it true BIM? Seems like it's a calculation program that rides along top AutoCAD. So while yes, it does have the features we want in Revit... it's not really "BIM" --- but it does help to hi-light some holes that Revit has that even obscure third party software has.

Also. I see they have dynamic one-line diagrams. That would be nice for Revit to have... and something I've requested as a feature before.

in reply to: adam.jw

I was using the program up until a year ago and you would create smart blocks.  The program created a running database and you could export IFC files.  So yes it would do BIM and could list out equipment and other items but you still had to create the content.

So in essence you created all the families and there was a good bit of preloaded content but you still had to make it your own.

Message 6 of 6
adam.jw
in reply to: zachrohlfs

Interesting. So it's BIM alright. How does it differ with AutoCAD MEP? Isn't AutoCAD MEP the same thing? (I've never used AutoCAD MEP or Designmaster). Back to Revit: I wonder if it's a man-power thing? It seems to me there's so much missing in the MEP side of Revit. I wonder if Autodesk would just hire more programmer and MEP designers to assist in getting more done on the project. It's infuriating to me that there isn't out of the box Gas or Compressed Air system classifications. It's not as if Gas or Compressed Air systems weren't being designed before Revit MEP existed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report