Did you mean: 

Enhancements to Legend Views and Assemblies

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
adam.jw
811 Views, 0 Replies

Enhancements to Legend Views and Assemblies

This would benefit. Everyone. EVERYONE.

1. Components placed in Legend views need to have the ability to be rotated per instance
  2. Components placed in Legend views need to have the ability to have their INSTANCE parameters tweaked per placed component. (The current work-around is to define your initial instance parameters in the family first, before placing the type on the legend view, this is less than ideal)

View direction is only relegated to "Floor Plan" or "Elevation" --- not very helpful for complex and families.

Detail Level is fine I guess... but what's the use if I can't turn off other instance elements on or off?

No ability to rotate. As a result, receptacles and other Face Based families are goofy looking in Legend views.

No ability to adjust instance parameters, as a result you can't turn annotations on or off unless you modify the visibility graphics parameters. (better make sure you have a lot of sub-categories defined).

For assemblies --- the idea is amazing, the ability to make sections and elevations on a glob of elements that get placed repeatedly is amazing. And that you can schedule them is great... but...

Why can't I create an assembly, and then delete all instances from my project and retain the views associated with the assembly? That would be a huge help.

If Legends and Assemblies had a feature buff, I'm pretty confident we could forego the use of element "farms" for creating details and legend views.

Currently, even us MEP folks create empty design options to place walls and fixtures in so we can properly create detail views and legend views of our families. And our architect buddies? Good God, it's even worse. Here is a farm one of our clients created:

farms.PNG

And farms completely defeat the purpose of the building as a model.... which is why Legends and Assemblies need some attention... please!

Again, I'm aware that there are traditional methods of just exporting things to CAD, and then re-linking them into drafting views. But isn't the whole idea of these model elements for them to be dynamically linked at all times?

If I change how my door frame works, I want it to update both on my sheets and interior elevations, as well as my detail sheets (legend views or assembly views) ---- I shouldn't have to make a weird farm of walls and doors and sections/elevations to make this happen.

BTW. Farms are COMMON COMMON practice amongst multiple firms. There has to be a better way. (And I think... better Legends and Assemblies will solve that).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report