Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Conduit

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
RedMan77
932 Views, 17 Replies

Electrical Conduit

We need electrical conduit in the worst sort of way. Plumbing has their pipes and mechanical has their duct, but if we are going to truly start modeling our systems in a truly BIM environment, we need the same sort of conduit that you would find in AutoCAD MEP.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
sschwartz
in reply to: RedMan77

Vote 2 of year 2009... I hope this gets into the priority items this time around! (Crossing my fingers)
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Conduit is easy! Just create your conduit type as
you would pipe types. Then create a workset called Electrical piping and make it
curent when you draw. Draw your conduit in that workset and then turn the work
set off in the other views. Thats what we do for all out piping needs such
as electrical, med gas, etc. Make a workset for each.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Vote
2 of year 2009... I hope this gets into the priority items this time around!
(Crossing my fingers)
Message 4 of 18
chriswade

But that is not the proper way to do it, the proper way is to have an actual conduit tool. I still say real conduit tools are a must.
Message 5 of 18
greg

I agree we need electrical conduit. Using the pipe for plumbing is all well and good but the fittings are all different.
Message 6 of 18
dennis

Another "gotcha" with your scenario is that if the file is linked, the Hosting file cannot make use of the Workset designations in the Linked file. (Unless I have missed something somewhere)
Message 7 of 18
simon.whitbread

Yes - Conduit, we need it.

But it won't be there till at least the next release

So in the meantime - Pipes.

Worksets for visability control though isn't great as you can't control worksets in view templates. The alternative is to add a parameter to the project for 'Pipe Use' - which you can then filter through
Message 8 of 18
sschwartz

Conduit and wiring, NOT piping. Conduit and wiring. Other people use duct for faking in conduit also.
Message 9 of 18
dennis

Use a FILTER called CONDUIT who search for components with the name CONDUIT in them. So you will create a PIPE TYPE called Conduit, and duplicate the elbows, tees, etc and rename them with Conduit, ie Conduit Elbow, Conduit Tee, and on and on. Then you can create a Filter that will look for Pipe Type that has the word Conduit in it.

Works great, even tho it is a workaround. A true conduit object type would be better.
Message 10 of 18
sschwartz

A true conduit object type would be better.

Absolutely!
Message 11 of 18
wim
Contributor

We use ducts for rectangular conduits. Works amazingly well. It's a workaround with its drawbacks, but nevertheless works.
Message 12 of 18
RedMan77

Please forgive me if this sounds too harsh becasue that isnt my intention. There is a part of me that cringes when I hear "...it works well or we use this as a work-around". My reasoning however biased it may be is that when Autodesk sees comments like these they make electrical conduit a feature that is placed lower and lower on their lists of priorities. Why should they add code to the software if we are getting by with using piping? Most all electrical folks know that the outside diameters of electrical and mech piping are different. In most cases the differences are negligible. In cases I have dealt with, such as Central Utility Plants, those differences matter. We all know the work-arounds by now but after 5 releases of this product we should have this feature by now. I guess the only thing we can do is to say loudly and continaully enough with the work-arounds.
Message 13 of 18
ccornett

Don't Forget BUS DUCT or CABLE TRAYS. I had to settle with downloading what someone else created, which usually doesn't work. The "conduit" could also contain info about the wires and circuits being run through them. We'll need J-boxes, too.
Message 14 of 18
chadclark

So I have 2010 Revit MEP and still no conduit? or am I missing something?
Message 15 of 18
pothied

I'm pleased to say that Revit MEP 2011 includes conduit and cable tray objects as their own types. You can create runs without elbows for modeling bent conduit or cable tray that is cut to make a bend or model with elbows when the conduit or cable tray type uses an actual fitting to make the bend. There are also new schedule types for conduit and cable tray runs that will report the overall length of the run including a bend.

David Pothier

Message 16 of 18
Negaquark

I know this is late in the posting, but it needs to be said.

MEP has conduit, at least in 2011 it does.  What it needs now is conduit duct banks.

It needs the ability to create a duct bank family.  My thought are it would work like drawing the cross section & extrude the duct bank along a path.

Please create a DUCT BANK tool.

Message 17 of 18
embolisim
in reply to: Negaquark

Negaquark,

Are the parallel conduit runs in 2012 what you are looking for?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User%27s_Guide/0325-Build_th325/0794-MEP_Mode...

Message 18 of 18
Negaquark
in reply to: embolisim

Parallel conduits can be used but I also need to have them encased in concrete.

The concrete also contains rebar. The rebar that run perpendicular to the run can vary depending if run under vehicle pavement.

I've learned a lot since my original post.  I've created a variable length family that I place in blocks.  It  works well with sections as well. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report