Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable trays - vertical installation, wire mesh

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cstruckmann
3237 Views, 6 Replies

Cable trays - vertical installation, wire mesh

Vertically mounted cable trays are not possible. I see them every day in the field.

I'm also not totally happy with the display of the wire wesh ones. They look identical to the solid bottom or chanle ones. My users have problems visualizing them as the wire ones. Maybe another feature to improve on.....

Thanks for considering.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Brelin
in reply to: cstruckmann

Strongly agree.

Tray/Ladder/Mesh/Trunking should be able to be fitted in any direction at all ...just as it is on site.

Message 3 of 7
Levitskiy.SP

Join, I want to work quickly, but in the end of the day I'm just trying to put the trays as needed.

Message 4 of 7
adam.jw
in reply to: Levitskiy.SP

I completely agree with wire-mesh looking completely wrong.

A couple things though:

Most of our documents are generated in Medium detail mode.

But when Ladder tray is used... it looks exactly like Solid Bottom. So we modify the Visibility Graphics to always show Cable Tray and Cable Tray Fittings in Fine detail mode:

fittings.JPG

I would also like some clarification on what you mean by "Vertically Mounted" cable tray.

Because it IS possible... but it is also a pain in the butt. Because as far as I can tell there's no way to flip your  orientation of how the cable tray is being drawn like you can with ductwork. Revit always assumes you are making Horizontal runs of Cable Tray. So in order to do what you want, you have to draw it in one elevation first. And then switch back to the 90 degree orientation and change your fittings.

In addition. If you were to say, draw your cable tray vertically, then switch to a different elevation and "rotate" the long runs of cable tray manually... when you try to connect it... bad things happen.

So here's my vertically "mounted" (there's no way to show mounting hardware to the wall unless you want to draw it manually) cable ladder. I created it by switching views and rotating lengths of cable tray:

verticale.JPG

But when I try to connect to it... bad things man...

capture-4.gif

So yes. Let us bump this request.

Wire Mesh looks bad, and Revit should feel bad.

Vertical Cable Tray installations are done in the field ALL the time, and should be a part of Revit MEP.

EDIT: But to be fair... when in the heck would you want to be mounting your cable tray/ladder in that orientation. Unless the installer zipties and velcros the HELL out of the cables... they won't stay in the tray 😐

in reply to: adam.jw

Haven't had to do this yet, but I have seen it in the field, so I agree, this needs to work.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 6 of 7
wim
Contributor

cable trays need a complete rework to make this work!!! plz
Message 7 of 7
Brelin
in reply to: adam.jw

Vertical Cable Tray installations are done in the field ALL the time, and should be a part of Revit MEP.

EDIT: But to be fair... when in the heck would you want to be mounting your cable tray/ladder in that orientation. Unless the installer zipties and velcros the HELL out of the cables... they won't stay in the tray 😐

We're working on a massive project right now and all the horizontal trays in the 'dirty' areas must have their ladder/trays mounted vertically.  This is to prevent a built up of dust/soot on the containment and cause overheating.  You are right however that you do have to cable tie the hell out of the cables ...still it must be done that way.

So vertical containment in ALL orientations please!

Brelin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report