Revit MEP Wishes

Revit MEP Wishes

CoopDYNA
Message 1 of 9 (829 Views)

An Electrical Bus Duct family would be nice...

829 Views, 8 Replies
01-23-2013 12:16 PM

We finally have decent families for Conduit and Cable tray so we do not have to use Mechanical Pipe and Duct so when will we see Bus Duct with electrical properties?  We are forced to use cable tray to depict Busway...

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 2 of 9 (671 Views)

Re: An Electrical Bus Duct family would be nice...

06-18-2013 01:05 PM in reply to: CoopDYNA

"What's Bus Duct"

~Autodesk

(I'm not from Autodesk, just sarcasm here ... I too am tired of trying to fudge work)

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 3 of 9 (644 Views)

07-11-2013 12:59 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

If Autodesk really did work with electrical engineers, as they say they do, then they would know what "bus duct" or "bus bar" as we call it in the UK, was.

I don't think Autodesk know that electrical engineers exist.

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 4 of 9 (640 Views)

07-11-2013 06:17 AM in reply to: CoopDYNA

They say they do. What they really do is invite people who they think are power users, solely based on their forum activity. Granted, these people are knowledgeable, but they don't represent every industry. I'm currently in this group, and I can tell you that there is only a small list of users, and I'm basically the only one from electrical. Not to mention, they are prioritizing updates to software based on user feedback. This comes back around in full circle because there's not enough people to speak up on behalf of the electrical side and hold enough weight to get Autodesk to do something.

There's a TERRIBLE disconnect between the programmers/designers of the software and the end users. I hear Pro-E is looking into AEC/BIM products now ...

Shawn B.

To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 5 of 9 (635 Views)

07-11-2013 07:12 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

This is why I've got a list of issues containing well over 200 specific items (attached is a tiny portion), a few of which I've posted about in this forum already. Once such is the inability to create a simple 3-way switch, which is quite simple and very common.

However, I eventually realized that posted here is no good - you'll get no direct response from Autodesk. My belief is that this forum was intended to be a place for users to merely discuss Wish List ideas amongst themselves, not to be a place to report issues straight to Autodesk (though, I could be mistaken). I would recommend heading over to AUGI.com and contributing to their Wish List to get more pull for the Electrical portion of Revit.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 6 of 9 (629 Views)

07-11-2013 08:16 AM in reply to: CADastrophe
Corey, I agree with you 100%. I've actually submitted a couple of wishes. My latest one is for Revit to more intelligently support 3-phase systems when it comes to multi-circuit wires. I think it needs to be ranked prior to entering the voting option. Spread the word to rank and wish it please.
Shawn B.

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 7 of 9 (614 Views)

07-12-2013 06:02 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

smbrnnan85

Are you telling me that Revit MEP does not support a three phase circuit?????

If this is true; then Revit MEP truly is not fit for purpose.

Skipper

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 8 of 9 (610 Views)

07-12-2013 06:51 AM in reply to: alan.skipper
It does support 3-phase circuits and systems. As I said in my previous post, when it comes to a multi-circuit wire, it doesn't know how to handle it. For example, if you have a conduit with (6) circuits, say 1,3,5 & 7,9,11, it doesn't represent the wires correctly. Your options are either 1 ground, 1 neutral and 1 6 hots, or 6 grounds, 6 neutrals, and 6 hots. It doesn't understand shared neutrals across 3 phases.
Shawn B.

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 9 of 9 (609 Views)

07-12-2013 06:53 AM in reply to: alan.skipper

Look at this thread that I was part of.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-MEP/Multi-Circuit-Wire-Tick-Marks/td-p/2316367

Shawn B.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.