Message 11 of 22 (687 Views)

Re: Add ceilings to copy/monitor

10-11-2011 10:17 AM in reply to: brenden.haskins

Here's a meme I created related to our troubles:

I think it sums it up quite nicely.

Message 12 of 22 (679 Views)

10-11-2011 11:21 AM in reply to: thewrz

I guess you have to admire his zeal. I would be afraid, had he a pitchfork to accompany his torch. (Or maybe a Q-Tip if I am mistaken...)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Distinguished Mentor
asommer
Message 13 of 22 (667 Views)

10-13-2011 08:32 AM in reply to: thewrz

He's Pointing at the Architect's ceilings.  Tell'em!

We need the ceilings to Copy/Monitor too.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 14 of 22 (622 Views)

01-20-2012 07:36 AM in reply to: thewrz

Our architectural friends have come to the realization that they must lower their ceilings in a couple of major rooms to accommodate the existence of our obtrusive equipment. It is easy enough to change these few rooms, but while investigating, I found that they had changed many other ceilings (mostly heights, but a couple types as well). Now we have a coordination issue or two, but I don't know if that would have been caught had they not changed the major ceilings. I'd like to think it would've been, but if the ceilings were Copy/Monitored...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Distinguished Contributor
thewrz
Message 15 of 22 (606 Views)

02-24-2012 11:17 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

...I see what you did there. Let's bump this thread some more. Get it to the top again.

Message 16 of 22 (561 Views)

06-14-2012 04:03 AM in reply to: brenden.haskins

Yes this is a big problem with the ceilings.

Also why are lighting families upside down?

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 17 of 22 (559 Views)

06-14-2012 05:47 AM in reply to: brian.breslin

I assume your light fixture families are face-based?

If hosting to a ceiling, they are probably just hosting to the top face of the ceiling, instead of the bottom. This seems to be common with Generic Ceilings. To flip the fixture, click on the 'Flip Work Plane' icon that appears when the element is selected.

If hosting to a Reference Plane, the direction in which the Reference Plane is drawn (L to R, R to L) determines which side the fixtures will be on. You will want to draw it RIGHT to LEFT in order to get fixture to mount on the bottom of the plane.

Valued Contributor
brian.breslin
Message 18 of 22 (551 Views)

06-15-2012 03:31 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

thanks,

Good info to know that, we have been using ref. planes for angled ceiling, so will try going right to left next time.

Distinguished Contributor
thewrz
Message 19 of 22 (457 Views)

01-28-2013 01:53 PM in reply to: brian.breslin

Just a humble bump.

We need this. Desperately. It would make our lives so much cleaner us MEP consultants that do the bulk of the lighting design for a project (we pick the luminaires, do the calcs, and visualizations).

Having to create a rendering model and not being coordinated with the Architect is a real pain.

If we could copy-monitor ceilings (and the Architect in turn monitors our copied ceiling against their original one) we could truly coordinate bi-directionally.

So if we host to the copy-monitored ceiling and cut into it, the Architect is prompted the next time they reload their model that the ceiling has been cut (sketch is missing, I believe is the warning), and they can in turn cut their ceiling thus revealing our fixtures.

I can't think of a reason why this hasn't been implemented, when I can copy monitor floors and walls why can I not copy-monitor ceilings?

I would love a real reason why this functionality has remained absent for 3 version cycles. Are the mechanics involved with implementing it exteremly difficult? Is it because ceilings can be sloped? What gives?

It just drives me nuts.

Message 20 of 22 (444 Views)

01-31-2013 05:33 AM in reply to: thewrz

Yes, we have had problems with this too, lights become un hosted when we update a linked model from architect and he has moved his ceilings.

Also looking at the 2d plan you cannot tell so our engineers are missing them.

If ceilings were copy monitored this would sort this problem easy.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.