Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to miter an open end of ducting

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Jaycee.foli
90 Views, 2 Replies

How to miter an open end of ducting

I want to show my duct hood mitered, because I am taking sections to create details from whats modeled. Is there a way to miter an open end of ducting in revit? or, how can I create a family for a length of duct that is mitered in order to use a part to represent the duct? If I have to create a family, the length is 2 foot, but, depth and width needs to be dependent on the size of duct its connected to. I have attached the family I began working on and also a picture of an old CAD detail to show what I am talking about.

52dba39f-1c2e-4a82-9fc3-b8ffcb368e06.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Jaycee.foli

If you want functional airflow, you need an airterminal and not just an "open" duct. Create or edit an existing air terminal to look the way you want. 

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 3 of 3
craigjonnson
in reply to: Jaycee.foli

Hi,

You have 2 options for your Revit category, Duct fitting or Air Terminal as explained by HVAC-Novice.

• To change the category > Edit the family > on the Create tab select the "Yellow" folder "Family Category and Parameters"

craigjonnson_1-1700608883199.png

• Once set, get into your parameters. I dont think theres a right or wrong way to do this but i always use the "DuctSize" type of parameter over standard length dimensions. 

craigjonnson_0-1700608429954.png

• As this piece is driven by dimensions, its good practice to change your created reference plains to "Not a reference" and leave the centre plains as is. This will remove the blue arrows from your family stopping the family to be stretched if using the align tool.
  • Always give your family a "Type" even if the Type name is Standard or Default.
  • You need to add a duct connector and set its system classification to "Global" if opting for the "Air Terminal" category for flow calculations or "Fitting" if using as a duct fitting category. If you go for the Air Terminal, you will need to add a Airflow Parameter and map this to the duct connector properties. Similarly with the Duct Height and Depth.

craigjonnson_2-1700610609670.png

Check out the changes I have added, When i started getting into family content i learned a lot from editing existing content and seeing how others had built things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report