Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DUCT FAMILY CREATION

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thiago_amorimZZYNV
207 Views, 5 Replies

DUCT FAMILY CREATION

Hello, I work in the air conditioning industry and I felt the need to create a duct family for a specific material, pre-insulated duct with rigid polyurethane foam, and Revit does not have this type. I would like to know if it is possible to create a family of ducts in Revit, because when I search in the categories I only find connections for ducts. Furthermore, I need to create some parameters to classify the sheet thicknesses and as the Revit duct families are system-based, I cannot edit them as needed. Can anybody help me?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Ducts are system families and only live in the project. there is no elaborate family editing for system families. You can transfer them to another project. Duct fittings and duct accessories are loadable families (a separate rfa file). You could use one of those 2 categories to create what you need. Mechanical equipment also could be suitable category depending on your needs. Consider visibility settings you want to use. If it is supposed to look like duct, the duct accessory and fitting category may be better. YMMV

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 3 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: thiago_amorimZZYNV

Use system Duct then add Insulation or Lining and change the material to whatever you want.

Message 4 of 6

Duct Insulation set to the thickness of the polyurethane works for low LOD coordination. 

If you need to show flanged duct connectors or bite joints (assuming this is phenolic ductwork), you may need to make those components yourself.

Is your intention to have various duct thicknesses on a specific project that result in needing to provide a duct schedule? I'm curious as to why this wouldn't be captured in a duct specification.

Message 5 of 6

It depends what your purpose is here.

If you are intending to use duct sizing calculations etc then Revit system ducts are the way to go, however the appearance will generally be less realistic than what lands on site.

If your main interest is to create realistic appearance and dimensions etc then MEP Fabrication Ductwork might be a better option for you but you lose the ability to use the sizing calculators etc. Fabrication CadMEP should be included in your AEC subscription to allow you to create custom content if the default content doesn't meet your needs, or you can use CAMduct if you have access to that.

Message 6 of 6

Google... "Ductboard revit families" You will find manufacturers providing what you require.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report