Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why can a cheap games like rollercoaster tycoon do everything but revit can't

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mid
Enthusiast
477 Views, 6 Replies

why can a cheap games like rollercoaster tycoon do everything but revit can't

General:

The flexibility of everything could be so mutch better.

People can create a world in game engines ( gta, rollercoaster tycoon , ... ) and my computer crashes when creating a road in revit.

There are times that i just want to load my model in a world engine. let it rain and walk in the garden with my VR glasses.

Or create all the buildings of complete site and walk trough it and see how a train reacts with the infrastructure like in GTA.

You could think this is a stupid idea but it's sow hard everytime to do something out of the box.

Labels (5)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tomek
in reply to: mid

It all comes down to choosing the right too for the job. Revit is not a general purpose 3D geometry editor. If you're interested in games development there are plenty of applications to choose from. Revit is not one of them and I sincerely hope that it doesn't become one. I hope that the team continually strive to deliver the best BIM application they can and do not get distracted with other projects.

You might not be aware of this but in Revit every elements (represented on screen with 3D geometry) has very complex behaviours associated with it. As you add more elements (represented visually with 3D geometry) Revit has to keep track of all the relationships and interactions between those elements, constantly evaluating constraints and physical interactions. It's a very complex and computationally expensive task. Perhaps your computer is simply not up to it.

cheers,

-tomek

P.S.

If your game building falls down nobody gets hurt.

Message 3 of 7
mid
Enthusiast

Hi Tomek,

I understand your reaction perfectly and yes only digital caracters get hurt when a building explodes in gta.

I don't want a other program to build something

I want something better to view everything.

Doors go open, rain, hearing sounds.

That's how you sell something.

Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

What you are describing sounds like Lumion. Get a Revit model, export it to Collada format. Import in Lumion, add fire, water, rain, sounds, people, etc.. Lumion is the tool to do all that. But I agree with the previous comment that there should be a tool for each purpose. Construction documents in Revit, and renderings and videos with visual and sound effects in Lumion.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7
sedat.rende

Gaming engine based visualisation softwares are continually getting better you can always try those. I think what you ask is against the nature and purpose of revit, so you should try different softwares like stingray or lumion

Message 6 of 7
RDAOU

I'm not sure Lumion, Stingray, Oculus or insiteVR would be an option or a potential solution for someone with such a vivid imagination ... you seem to be looking or Expecting something more like an All-in-One solution which I'm not sure will be coming out to the market soon (Not from AUTODESK or any other developers)...that being said, why can't Lumion or Oculus do what Revit does?! 

Alas! There is a solution already out there!!      IF what you say is true and all those u mentioned in the comparison you did do everything and more, roads are better and traffic studies and simulations are so amazing, maybe you should go design and build using Tycoon, Rollercoaster GTA and all those software to model, design and build instead of RRevit and spare yourself the hassle and headache of Revit !

brilliant comparison! The other day I ran across a guy comparing rhino to Revit...today it's GTA and Tycoon lol...

may God have mercy 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 7
tomek
in reply to: RDAOU

Yeah... this thread needs to die already.

-t

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report