Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add Content Generator Extension to Revit 2017

Please add Content Generator Extension to Revit 2017

The Structural Content Generator extension has been left off Revit 2017 Extensions. Please add it as the lack of this tool it will stop most Structural Engineers locally to upgrade to 2017 and rather stick to 2016 where the tool is available. Structural draftspersons/enigeeers use this tool at the start of every project to generate the steel etc they'll need in the project.

16 Comments

In order to operate with Steel Connections in 2017, your project must use Autodesk Certified families. For 2016 we only used the Content Generator if absolutely no family was available, this will still be the same for v2017. Tip: just have your library up-to-date and load your families and types via the Load Family or similar add-ins if you have any.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can please add the content generator in revit exchange 2017, so that it can help as a loot to generate the standard section steel members. 

BIM.AtelierBLM
Observer

+1

Moreover, freeze drawing was a daily use tool, please add it to 2017 as well as previous versions,

Thanks,

pawelpiechnik
Autodesk

What is specifically the Content / Families that  you are looking for ?

Please note, that there are several new sets of up-to date, country specific  and rich in properties structural content provided directly with the latest releases of Revit (structural materials, steel profile) that better support interoperability with analysis and fabrication software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Freeze Drawing is a quick way to create flattened drafting views from the model. It is unconscionable that it was just removed in 2017, with no explanation. I thought software was supposed to improve and get better with new releases. Ridiculous.

pieterbree
Observer

How can I add the european steel profiles in Revit 2017 without the content generator?

@pieterbree It depends on: do you want to use Steel Connections or not?

Second take a look at the libraries which came with your installation. I guess, going on your name, you would go to the "Netherlands" library of "Belgium" if you do not find what you want. I also guess you use an English version of Revit 2017.

E.g. you want to load an Equal L-angle from those Libraries, I advise you to pick a catalog e.g. Arcelor-Mittal an try to match the Types you want, this goes also for Circular Hollow section and Rectangular Sections. The type catalog files from Autodesk are incorrect and I advice you not to use them. They are American catalogs.

What did I do? (And what Autodesk had to do!)

Head over Knowlegde Corner: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/EN... this list tells you which Families support Steel Connections.

Inspect the Germany and France type catalog files > e.g. C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Libraries\Germany\Tragwerk Träger\Stahl

You will find more available Types than the American catalogs.

Also notice the language of the Parameters in the German type catalog files: they are in German and you might have an English Revit.

All you have to do is find out the correct translation for each parameter from German to English, this will allow you to use the Families from the German library.

AND every end-user will have to do this. Autodesk is aware of this issue but could not confirm when they would release libraries for English version with e.g. the correct German/French catalog files. So I did it on my own.

Just to give you an idea, the most common Structural Framings for our firm to choose from:

RVT2017CertifiedLibraries.JPG

Other types are made on-the-fly and are later added to the library.

It can be done in a relative short time, use a tool to replace text within files.

Test all your families by loading 1 type from each family, if a parameter has been forgotten you will notice it by the Warning dialog box.

pawelpiechnik
Autodesk

Please see also what was announced at the Revit page, referring to the 2017 release: http://www.autodesk.com/products/revit-family/features/structural-engineering/new-steel-profiles-cat...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys thats like 5 countries......

The reason people used content generator is it's fast and easy way to access MANY countries content.

Surely you realize even the UI is much smoother in Content Generator???

Also what about concrete framing? I used to generate all our concrete members from Content Generator?

I really dont care about your structural connections tool which the integration with Revit in both 2016 and 2017 is pretty poor anyway, getting better results with IFC.

Not sure why you think this is good for users......... very disappointing.

Can you please offer the content generator source code? That way those of use who WANT to use it can rebuild it to work with 2017.

How can you truly push the benefits of subscriptions only to abandon things when they don't suit your sales strategy.

I wish you guys spent more time building us good tools then focusing on what to take away from subscription customers

As for a interim solution!!

I recommend using Content Generator in 2016 to load all the families into a project.

Then use this addon https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=1090472181312958476&appLang=en&os=Win64

It will allow you a similar interface in quickly selection members.

Again another feature that should be in Revit...... 

pawelpiechnik
Autodesk

The Freeze drawing tool is now available and open for customization: http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2016/10/au-revit-20171-and-rex-freezedrawing.html#5

pawelpiechnik
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

I'm gonna archive this one for the explanation provided in the comments before.

instead, please be specific about any content requirements and add them to the Ideas separately, so that it could increase the probability of making them implemented. thank you.

charlv
Advocate

Hi all,

Lets contribute and make Revit great again 🙂 Beta testers needed for the Steel Connectors app:

See details in the blog below: 

http://blogs.autodesk.com/bim-and-beam/2016/12/12/needed-beta-testers-for-steel-connections-for-revi...

Regards

Charl.

O.Maille
Advocate

When loading "New Steel Profiles Catalog" one size is generated and we have to create all the other (possibly available) sizes. This is a major step backwards for revit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

South Africa also requires the content generator to generate our steel sections... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So do I I'm for family generator REX, please reinsert it on 2017 version and latest s

sureshchotrani
Advisor

It is required as it was having capability of adding Tapered beam & column, https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/538...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report