Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide more information about deleted element: Ideally a read-only copy.

When attempting to implement collaboration/worksharing support it is challenging to only have the elementID upon deletion of an element in an IUpdater.  We know that element Ids are not stable so it would be nice to have access to the Unique ID at least. 

Ideally we would be able to have a read-only copy of the elements that were deleted.  I need to be able to adjust my side database to stay up-to-date with the model information.  As of now, I maintain a mapping between unique id and element id and then store the necessary information in a map of unique id to info-I-need (too keep the database up to date).

3 Comments
Ryan
Enthusiast

Just after creating this post because i didn't find anything on my initial search, I came across this Idea posted here:

So my post is just a duplicate request. Please ignore.

Old post:

Original thread is posted here,Re: Get UniqueId of deleted element within dynamic updater.

It basically states for the API to offer a little more information from the GetDeletedElementIds() method. Currently, doc.GetElement(id from method) will return null.

At the very least, GetDeletedElementIds() should offer the UniqueId of the deleted element for better external database maintenance. Since it isn't prone to change like ElementId is within a work-shared project. 

ken
Advocate
Advocate

Bare Minimum:  UniqueID  (it's a nightmare to work without it)

Workable: Some new "ElementInfo" object which only contains a map of the state of element parameters at time of deletion. (don't need to be parameters, just the data dump, could be XML.  Could be for only elements that we mark as "we want info about this when it's deleted?)

Nice to Have: read-only copy of element's extensible storage

ken
Advocate
Advocate

Bare Minimum:  UniqueID  (it's a nightmare to work without it)

Workable: Some new "ElementInfo" object which only contains a map of the state of element parameters at time of deletion. (don't need to be parameters, just the data dump, could be XML.  Could be for only elements that we mark as "we want info about this when it's deleted?)

Nice to Have: read-only copy of element's extensible storage

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report