Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rethink Hatch / Fill Patterns

Rethink Hatch / Fill Patterns

Isn't it time to devise something a little more modern for patterns? Hard to believe that the 35 year-old PAT file format is still the "technology" of choice for this. Would love to see a modern pattern creator that could do any kind of pattern. Including: rectilinear, random, and especially radial. It is just silly that we have to use model lines and arrays or material hacks to simple brick arches or radial floor patterns. 

A new pattern technology and editor please... 

111 Comments
tropitech
Enthusiast

We already have repeating detail components, so why not repeat in both x and y directions? Not forgetting model patterns too.

craigh_bim
Advocate

This topic has already been submitted, and it's under review.

forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/rethink-hatch-fill-patterns/idi-p/6489965

CUptmor
Contributor

Need to be able to add a color fill in the background and handle gradients with transparency.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We've completed our review of this idea. After investigating the effort required to implement this request, we unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities. However, we think this is a great idea so we will reconsider it as we made adjustments to our roadmap in the future. Thanks for the submission and keep voting!

The Factory

Anonymous
Not applicable

A Fill Pattern Generator/Creator should be part of Revit, or included as a separate program for both Autocad and Revit users as part of the Building Design Suites or Collections.

Reliance for using such tools should fall on Autodesk, not on 3rd Parties that are not always forthcoming with new releases of Autodesk products and their add-ins.

This is NOT an idea to revamp the entire system of creating patterns.  There are several add-ins already available, but some are quite outdated.  

Tags (3)
mertens3d
Enthusiast
I apologize for my part in this. The new version of hatch22 has taken significantly longer than anticipated.

Having said that I feel I am pretty close to have a releasable version out. All of the technical problems seem to have been solved and I'm just doing the little cleanup bits.

After this version goes out, future versions will be released much much sooner as the code base will now support that kind of iteration.

In attempt to ease the pain, I will say that I have added some new features which will make it even easier to use.
hugha
Collaborator

By contrast, HatchKit is not tied to any particular version of Revit so does not need regular repurchasing.  Any HatchKit can produce fills for any Revit - including Revit LT - as it is a standalone application, not an add-in.

Our free add-in is provided to link HatchKit to Revit and add some convenience but is not a strict requirement for fill creation as that occurs within HatchKit rather than within Revit.   Add-ins for Revit 2013 to 2017 are already available and that for Revit 2018 is underway. 

Hugh Adamson

www.hatchkit.com.au

Yien_Chao
Advisor
Both are interesting. Thank you Mertens3d and Hugh!

is there other options beside Hatchkit and Hatch 22?

Yien_Chao
Advisor
There is also PyRevit for generate hatch.

http://eirannejad.github.io/pyRevit/
BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

I agree with mpwuzhere - this is a function that should be part of Revit without having to install an add-in.  There should be some kind of interface within Revit that let's you draw the pattern you want with lines and Revit should convert it into the numbers or "coding" needed to generate the pattern.  Then Revit should save the numbers / "Coding" generated to a text file.  We need to be able to designate a specific text file that we can name and save in a specific location - so there should also be a setting within Revit's options for the location of this file which will allow for an office standard .pat file (similar to the keynote text file) where you could store and save an office global collection of custom hatch patterns.

jason.barish
Contributor
Completely agree w/ Mr. Aubin; this is a desperately need basic function that revit should already have. It is ridiculous that we have to use external add-ins for this key function. These external add-ins are either too expensive (hatchkit) or so infrequently updated as to be unreliable (Hatch22) in a business environment. This doesn't seem like it would be too hard to accomplish. (we've looked at writing our own .pat converter using dynamo, btw, out of sheer frustration.) By contrast, the Bluebeam Revu has a pattern editor, and it's excellent. Something as simple as the Bluebeam pattern editor would be more than enough.
hugha
Collaborator

@lionel.kai

@AKingslayer

The free HatchKit Addin for Revit can create a rescaled and/or rotated fill from any fill already loaded to a Revit project without reference to an external .PAT file.

RevitMonkey79
Participant

100% agree. New pattern editor or at the very least could we please get all the hatch patterns from CAD into Revit/Lt in the OTB install.

NickScalone
Enthusiast

This has been under review for almost a year, any news on the progress of this in the Revit Roadmap?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NickScalone Shows as Future Consideration for me...

This particular idea is a merge of two similar ideas...mine and Paul's....so it totally doesn't make sense.

I think we are stuck with out of date add-ons...

m.steffannoe
Enthusiast

Reuse AutoCAD fill patterns and create an appropriate editor for these files.

Data Exchange will thank you for this if standard AutoCAD fill patterns will be used.

CUptmor
Contributor
If we could simply apply multiple hatch patterns to the same object or region that would be a great first step. I would call it multi-hatch.
devon.jackson
Explorer

Please let us draw our own hatch patterns! It is a huge pain to have to try to go to AutoCad to draw a new hatch pattern to use for representing surface patterns correctly. The two options that we have in Revit for drawing a new drafting or model pattern do not allow for more customized pattern types (such as representing a wood plank accurately).

Tags (1)
hugha
Collaborator
You need not resort to AutoCAD. The HatchKit Addin for Revit allows HatchKit to return a fill pattern directly from a fill template prepared within Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report