Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zooming in Revit

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
777 Views, 9 Replies

Zooming in Revit

After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I find no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to zoom to extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that this problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the point where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory problem. When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade because of this. Regards Dick Barath
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find the zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even willing to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's still better than Acad. I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. "Dick Barath" wrote in message news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I find > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to zoom to > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that this > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the point > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory problem. > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade because > of this. > > Regards > > Dick Barath > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Greg: Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, shape or form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - no difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - zoom wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several mice. Regards Dick Barath "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find the > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even willing > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's still > better than Acad. > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I > find > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to zoom > to > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that > this > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the > point > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory problem. > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade > because > > of this. > > > > Regards > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Try holding the middle button down while scrolling it...that should improve the jumpiness as well as let you scroll and pan at the same time. I use a Logitech MX700 and it is great. Make sure you have the latest drivers and that you have the middle button set to middle button mode. "Dick Barath" wrote in message news:40ec659a_1@newsprd01... > Greg: > > Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, shape or > form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. > Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - no > difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - zoom > wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several mice. > > Regards > > Dick Barath > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find the > > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even > willing > > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's still > > better than Acad. > > > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. > > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and > > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I > > find > > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to > zoom > > to > > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that > > this > > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the > > point > > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory > problem. > > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade > > because > > > of this. > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Greg: You refreshed my mind about updating the driver. Microsoft sort of screwed up their newest driver for the Intellimouse Explorer - they took away the ability to assign "keystrokes" to the two side buttons. Long and short I have resisted using Intellipoint 5 - I think that was the problem. Yes you are right - no problem zooming with the updated driver. Thanks for the reminder. Regards Dick Barath "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:40ec6caa_2@newsprd01... > Try holding the middle button down while scrolling it...that should improve > the jumpiness as well as let you scroll and pan at the same time. > > I use a Logitech MX700 and it is great. Make sure you have the latest > drivers and that you have the middle button set to middle button mode. > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > news:40ec659a_1@newsprd01... > > Greg: > > > > Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, shape or > > form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. > > Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - no > > difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - zoom > > wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several mice. > > > > Regards > > > > Dick Barath > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > > > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find the > > > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even > > willing > > > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's > still > > > better than Acad. > > > > > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it > again. > > > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom > and > > > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I > > > find > > > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to > > zoom > > > to > > > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see > that > > > this > > > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the > > > point > > > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > > > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory > > problem. > > > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade > > > because > > > > of this. > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Dick, Same problem with Microsoft IntelliMouse resolved updating the mouse driver to v5.1 Daniel "Dick Barath" escribió en el mensaje news:40ec8a49_3@newsprd01... > Greg: > > You refreshed my mind about updating the driver. Microsoft sort of screwed > up their newest driver for the Intellimouse Explorer - they took away the > ability to assign "keystrokes" to the two side buttons. Long and short I > have resisted using Intellipoint 5 - I think that was the problem. Yes you > are right - no problem zooming with the updated driver. Thanks for the > reminder. > > Regards > > Dick Barath > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > news:40ec6caa_2@newsprd01... > > Try holding the middle button down while scrolling it...that should > improve > > the jumpiness as well as let you scroll and pan at the same time. > > > > I use a Logitech MX700 and it is great. Make sure you have the latest > > drivers and that you have the middle button set to middle button mode. > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > news:40ec659a_1@newsprd01... > > > Greg: > > > > > > Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, shape > or > > > form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. > > > Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - no > > > difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - zoom > > > wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several > mice. > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > > news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > > > > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find the > > > > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even > > > willing > > > > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's > > still > > > > better than Acad. > > > > > > > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it > > again. > > > > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom > > and > > > > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? > I > > > > find > > > > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to > > > zoom > > > > to > > > > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see > > that > > > > this > > > > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to > the > > > > point > > > > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on > several > > > > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory > > > problem. > > > > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade > > > > because > > > > > of this. > > > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Dick, You can always use keyboard commands to zoom extents. ZA for Zoom All, ZW for Zoom Window etc. in addition to the right click memu options. Definitely update your mouse driver as Daniel said as well. Christie Landry Autodesk Revit Product Marketing Manager "Dick Barath" wrote in message news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I find > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to zoom to > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that this > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the point > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory problem. > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade because > of this. > > Regards > > Dick Barath > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Daniel: Are you correct about 5.1 I can only find Intellipoint 5.0? Thanks Dick Barath "Daniel Legarraga" wrote in message news:40ed4720$1_2@newsprd01... > Dick, > Same problem with Microsoft IntelliMouse resolved updating the mouse driver > to v5.1 > Daniel > > "Dick Barath" escribió en el mensaje > news:40ec8a49_3@newsprd01... > > Greg: > > > > You refreshed my mind about updating the driver. Microsoft sort of > screwed > > up their newest driver for the Intellimouse Explorer - they took away the > > ability to assign "keystrokes" to the two side buttons. Long and short I > > have resisted using Intellipoint 5 - I think that was the problem. Yes > you > > are right - no problem zooming with the updated driver. Thanks for the > > reminder. > > > > Regards > > > > Dick Barath > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > news:40ec6caa_2@newsprd01... > > > Try holding the middle button down while scrolling it...that should > > improve > > > the jumpiness as well as let you scroll and pan at the same time. > > > > > > I use a Logitech MX700 and it is great. Make sure you have the latest > > > drivers and that you have the middle button set to middle button mode. > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > news:40ec659a_1@newsprd01... > > > > Greg: > > > > > > > > Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, > shape > > or > > > > form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. > > > > Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - no > > > > difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - > zoom > > > > wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several > > mice. > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > > > news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > > > > > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find > the > > > > > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am even > > > > willing > > > > > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its functionality...it's > > > still > > > > > better than Acad. > > > > > > > > > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > > > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it > > > again. > > > > > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the > "zoom > > > and > > > > > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of > Autocad)? > > I > > > > > find > > > > > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way > to > > > > zoom > > > > > to > > > > > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see > > > that > > > > > this > > > > > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to > > the > > > > > point > > > > > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on > > several > > > > > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory > > > > problem. > > > > > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross > upgrade > > > > > because > > > > > > of this. > > > > > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Christie: I like to use the two side buttons for "snap on - off" and "ortho on - off" in Autocad. I'm aware of the keyboard commands - just to slow. Perhaps someone at Autodesk may want to do some sort of a survey has to how many keystrokes a person can cope with in the course of a day. After fifteen years of this I feel my mind is going a little mushy - hope some relief is in sight - "chattel slavery" could not have been much worse. Regards Dick Barath "Christie Landry [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40ed7e5f$1_1@newsprd01... > Dick, > > You can always use keyboard commands to zoom extents. ZA for Zoom All, ZW > for Zoom Window etc. in addition to the right click memu options. > > Definitely update your mouse driver as Daniel said as well. > > Christie Landry > Autodesk Revit Product Marketing Manager > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at it again. > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the "zoom and > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of Autocad)? I > find > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick way to zoom > to > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to see that > this > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow to the > point > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on several > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory problem. > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross upgrade > because > > of this. > > > > Regards > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Dick, You are wright the driver is 5.0 Daniel "Dick Barath" escribió en el mensaje news:40edd1da_2@newsprd01... > Daniel: > > Are you correct about 5.1 I can only find Intellipoint 5.0? > > Thanks > > Dick Barath > "Daniel Legarraga" wrote in message > news:40ed4720$1_2@newsprd01... > > Dick, > > Same problem with Microsoft IntelliMouse resolved updating the mouse > driver > > to v5.1 > > Daniel > > > > "Dick Barath" escribió en el mensaje > > news:40ec8a49_3@newsprd01... > > > Greg: > > > > > > You refreshed my mind about updating the driver. Microsoft sort of > > screwed > > > up their newest driver for the Intellimouse Explorer - they took away > the > > > ability to assign "keystrokes" to the two side buttons. Long and short > I > > > have resisted using Intellipoint 5 - I think that was the problem. Yes > > you > > > are right - no problem zooming with the updated driver. Thanks for the > > > reminder. > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > > news:40ec6caa_2@newsprd01... > > > > Try holding the middle button down while scrolling it...that should > > > improve > > > > the jumpiness as well as let you scroll and pan at the same time. > > > > > > > > I use a Logitech MX700 and it is great. Make sure you have the latest > > > > drivers and that you have the middle button set to middle button mode. > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > > news:40ec659a_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Greg: > > > > > > > > > > Very interesting - I do have a 5 button Intellimouse. In no way, > > shape > > > or > > > > > form is my zooming and panning superior to Autocad. > > > > > Are there any settings I can play with? Tried Open GL off and on - > no > > > > > difference. Seriously this is unbearable - image jumps all over - > > zoom > > > > > wheel sometimes works sometimes not, etc., etc. Have tried several > > > mice. > > > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > > > > > news:40ec5e1b_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > I don't have any of the problems you are describing at all. I find > > the > > > > > > zooming and panning in Revit so far superior to Acad that I am > even > > > > > willing > > > > > > to use a pen tablet and take a decrease in its > functionality...it's > > > > still > > > > > > better than Acad. > > > > > > > > > > > > I would suggest getting a mouse with a middle button/scroll wheel. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dick Barath" wrote in message > > > > > > news:40ec35b3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > After a long absence from Revit thought I would try my luck at > it > > > > again. > > > > > > > Why is it that it seems to be nearly impossible to control the > > "zoom > > > > and > > > > > > > pan" functions to the level one would expect (say that of > > Autocad)? > > > I > > > > > > find > > > > > > > no matter what I do the zooming is very erratic no real quick > way > > to > > > > > zoom > > > > > > to > > > > > > > extents i.e. spacebar or right click menu. Very disturbing to > see > > > > that > > > > > > this > > > > > > > problem has not been resolved it just disrupts one's work flow > to > > > the > > > > > > point > > > > > > > where I feel like throwing in the towel. I have tried this on > > > several > > > > > > > machines and I'm pretty sure it is not a video card nor mememory > > > > > problem. > > > > > > > When will this be resolved - reserving my decision to cross > > upgrade > > > > > > because > > > > > > > of this. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Dick Barath > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report