Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yes/no parameter return text

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
rasm578s
5712 Views, 17 Replies

yes/no parameter return text

I have a shared yes/no parameter that I would like to have associated with a door tag. I've got it to work but the text that appears on the tag - yes / no - is wrong so I would like it changed, so if it's yes it should read "m ABDL" and when it is no it needs to be blank.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rasm578s
in reply to: rasm578s

I think I've figured out how it works, I have had to create a shared parameter text, which I put into the door family and write: = if (ABDL, "m ABDL", "").

Now my problem is when my yes no parameter is not checked, then there's a question mark. It seems as if it can not understand that it must be blank.

Message 3 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

The text shared parameter must be added to the door family. Did you do that?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 18
rasm578s
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yes I have made the text shared parameter in the door family, and if the yes/no parameter is checked the text "m. ABDL" appears. I just need the text field to be blank if the yes/no parameter is unchecked. 🙂
Message 5 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

It works for me. It does not matter if the blank value is " " or "". (space or no space). I don't get the question mark.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 18
CoreyDaun

If you are seeing a "?" in the Tag, it means that the Label is not reporting any information. Revit does not like blank Tags, and will therefore show that if there is no information to report, including Text that is either null or just spaces.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 18
rasm578s
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I think I have done something different than what I described here, I tried again and now it works 🙂 thanks for the help ..
Message 8 of 18
adr
Explorer

Width "" I got the?

However, width a space " " it work.

Thanks for the tip. Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 18

Can you please tell me exacly how you made possible to appear a text with a Yes/ No parameter. I have both parameteres shared ( yes/no and text ) and how when I tag to appear a text depending if it is yes or no 🙂 thanks ! :

Message 10 of 18
David_W_Koch
in reply to: 143587

See the orginial poster's second post.  The Yes/No parameter is used in a formula added to the Text parameter, to drive the contents of the Text parameter.  For example, given a Yes/No parameter called YesOrNo, set the formuls for the Text parameter to be something like this:

= if (YesOrNo, "TextStringForYes", "TextStringForNo")

where you would substitute the text string you want when the YesOrNo parameter is checked for "TextStringForYes" and the text string you want when the parameter is unchecked for "TextStringForNo".

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 11 of 18
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I think I will give you the exact example I am trying to make. I want to tag all doors that have been demolished and I reuse them. I made a parameter Yes/No if it is Reused or not. But I want to tag only the ones that I select to be reused and write Reused and the other ones empty, no tag. 

So I made Shared Parameter text and shared parameter Yes/No. I go in to tag properties, I add both labes(not shure if it is correct) and then I go to Family types where you can insert this formula but here its empty.....I can Add another parameter and so on. I am lost here 🙂 don't know where to write that formula......maybe my mistake is somewhere before all of this.... 

I hope you understood my problem :)....and hope you understand my english also 😄

Thanks for the answer by the way 🙂

Message 12 of 18
David_W_Koch

In your case, the Tag would show only the Text parameter (which has a value of "REUSED" if your Yes/No parameter is checked, and " " if the Yes/No parameter is unchecked).  These parameters should be set up in your Door families, and the formulas should be entered there.  They need to be added to the the Tag family, but associated with Door objects, so that your Door Tag family can reference them in a label, but they will not be available as a parameter of the Tag family.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 18

I manage to do what you said. It makes more sense now :). I manage to show Reused on the tag but it doesnt matter if the Yes/No parameter is checked or not, it always show Reused. Both of them are shared parameters. I inserted the formula but stil nothing. I uploaded a picture so you can see 

Message 14 of 18

I cannot see the sared parameter yes no in the properties. I tried to add it but nothing. In schedules I can see it but if I choose some windows to be unchecked Revit automatically unchecks more.....I think the entire family. But yes it works like this....I can see it changes the tag, the only problem is that I don't want the Yes/No parameter to check or uncheck the entire family. Just some of the windows/doors

Message 15 of 18
David_W_Koch

If you want to control this on a per-object basis (rather than on a per-type basis, as the image you posted shows), you need to make both the Yes/No parameter and the Text parameter instance-based parameters, not type-based.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 16 of 18

THANK YOU !!! 😄 it works. I really apreciate your help 🙂

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

Message 17 of 18
shachar

I have a follow up question to this thread.

I am trying to do the same thing, but I wanted to do it through project parameters (that are based on shared parameters) rather than go into each door family and add these parameters and formula (I have quite a few door families in the project). 

I created the shared parameters, then created the project parameters that are attached to the door category, and no I am trying to adjust the tag to show the relevant yes/no strings. But from what I have found there is no place to create the formula in the project.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks!

Message 18 of 18
David_W_Koch
in reply to: shachar

I do not see a way to set a formula in a project on a Project Parameter that applies to Doors.

The best I could come up with would be to add fixed text to the tag, tied to a type-based visibility parameter within the tag, and setting up types with and without the fixed text being displayed.  Not a very satisfying result, as the information ends up in the tag, not the Door object.  I would probably choose to add the properties to all of my Door families.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report