Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes / No parameter for 3 Options

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
revitus
11745 Views, 6 Replies

Yes / No parameter for 3 Options

I'd really like to offer 3 Visibility Parameters, but only allow one to be checked at any given time (so overlapping geometry isn't ever showing).  I don't want to use the "<Family Type...>" kind of parameter with the drop down box in this case.

Can someone offer the formula syntax to allow this?

It is very easy to use a "not(parameter name)" when there are only two options, but what about three (or more)?

Any help is very much appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: revitus

In this example, "shape" is an integer. The other parameters under "Graphics" are Yes/No visibility parameters. When "shape" is 0, all the shapes are off. When shape is 1, only the triangle is visible. The list of shapes can be increased for as many shapes as required, all controlled by the value of the "shape" integer parameter.

multiple_yes_no.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

To add to Alfredo's suggestion, you can set it so that one of the parameters will be checked in the event that an invalid integer is added to "Shape" (less than 1 or more than 3, in this case). For example, if you wanted "see_square" to be shown, use the formula below for the parameter "see_square":

= not(or(see_triangle, see_circle))

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
bashworth
in reply to: revitus

I am currently building a family for distribution outside our organization.  Similar to the original poster, I have a region where there are 4 different yes/no graphic parameters that the end user of the family could choose from.  Each option is in exclusion of the other 3, so I'd like only one to be able to be checked at any one time.

I like the method you described above, but I'd prefer something where the end user could just select 'Option A', 'Option B', or 'Option C', instead of having to provide them a legend that 'To display corner type A, input the number '3' into this parameter.'

I guess what it boils down to, is there any way to accomplish controling geometry for more than two options, within a specific type, directly?  Without having to create separate family types, and without introducing additional variables that then have to be relayed to the customer.

Message 5 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bashworth

Are you also opposed to using the  "<Family Type...>" parameter drop-down list as the OP stated? Attached is a crude example. (Revit 2013)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 7
bashworth
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I like that.  It will require me to reconfigure how I've got the elements associated with each option configuration a bit, but I'm more interested in the functionality for the end user, vs how much rework this method may require.

I'll also have to see how it interracts with the functions of other parameters I have where the option changes certain schedule values.

Thank you.  I'm fairly new to Revit families, (I'm the 'hey, you used Revit for a month a few years back, why don't you do this' guy) so I'm still getting used to some of the tricks/terminology.

Message 7 of 7
Sahay_R
in reply to: bashworth

This is an ancient thread but THANK YOU! It solved my problem TODAY!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report