Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTC: Revit or Archicad?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
712 Views, 10 Replies

WTC: Revit or Archicad?

In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit...
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit may arguably be the best architectural cad software currently available. However, as of now, Revit is neither an MEP nor a structural application. Each discipline involved with a project must utilize the program that best suits their needs. To say the WTC project can be "all Revit" is like saying apples are the only ingrediant one needs to bake an apple pie". "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:41e88d26_3@newsprd01... > In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled > Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in > which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP > tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from > coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit... > >
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

According to sources that has been confirmed in several places... SOM got the MEP firms to do their modeling in REVIT (probably in-place families) My understanding that one of the Freedom Tower entrants had used Archicad for the design competition. David Haynes Ideate, Inc. "S Scalise" wrote in message news:41e8b772$1_2@newsprd01... > Revit may arguably be the best architectural cad software currently > available. However, as of now, Revit is neither an MEP nor a structural > application. Each discipline involved with a project must utilize the > program that best suits their needs. To say the WTC project can be "all > Revit" is like saying apples are the only ingrediant one needs to bake an > apple pie". > > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > news:41e88d26_3@newsprd01... > > In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled > > Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in > > which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP > > tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from > > coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit... > > > > > >
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Uh...so you are saying, basically, "I don't know." Thanks. "S Scalise" wrote in message news:41e8b772$1_2@newsprd01... > Revit may arguably be the best architectural cad software currently > available. However, as of now, Revit is neither an MEP nor a structural > application. Each discipline involved with a project must utilize the > program that best suits their needs. To say the WTC project can be "all > Revit" is like saying apples are the only ingrediant one needs to bake an > apple pie". > > > > "Greg Cashen" wrote in message > news:41e88d26_3@newsprd01... > > In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled > > Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in > > which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP > > tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from > > coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit... > > > > > >
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I was hoping for a respone from JamesVan.... I remember him addressnig this issue specifically in a webcast. According to him, all of the MEP stuff for WTC was done entirely in Revit I believe. "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:41e88d26_3@newsprd01... > In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled > Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in > which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP > tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from > coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit... > >
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Greg, I think the problem about reports of what software is being used, comes from the fact that in the beginning, Revit wasn't used at all. A small part of the SOM team started to experiment with Revit on the Freedom Tower with the below grade levels, while other parts of of the model went ahead in AutoCAD, ADT, and others. As the team saw the advantages of Revit in the lower levels, they decided to tackle another piece of the tower, and then another...then the engineers wanted to get in on the fun, and started to model their systems in Revit. So early on, the MEP may have been done in Bentley's MEP package, but the latest I heard is that it has all converted to Revit: Arch, MEP, and Structures. James would be the best person to answer this more 'officially'! "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:41e88d26_3@newsprd01... > In the latest issue (online) of Cadalyst, there is an article titled > Intelligent Building Modelling Makes Inroads into Real-World Practice, in > which it is stated that the WTC project by SOM utilized Bentley's Beta MEP > tool to design the mechanical systems. Is this correct? I recalled from > coversations with the SOM guys that it was al done in Revit... > >
Message 7 of 11
JeffreyMcGrew

You'd have better luck if you post to Augi. That's the only spot I see him post to on a regular basis.

But in the webcast, he did say that the HVAC that was being done within SOM was being done within Revit, but that some of the consultants that were handling specialized things are using Bentley, and some are using ADT, due to custom-written plugins they have made for, say, calc'ing out the thermal heat gain dependant upon glazing types and such. Also, while SOM has the clout to get betas of Revit and Autodesk helping them out, I doubt those smaller consultants they are working with do, and I doubt SOM wants to be liable for there work or calcs, so they are probably sticking with what they have that works...

So, yes it's being done in Revit, and some of the secondary consultant work is being done in other packages, or at least that's my understanding. Better to hear it directly from the man...

But, if anything, it just shows that Revit 'plays nice' with others...
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Several programs are being used on that project, including Arch Desktop which is being used as AutoCAD. The Freedom tower is still in schematics. The tower design is being done in Revit

Ed Goldberg AIA
http://www.hegra.org
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

schematic package was due to the Port Authority last year near the end of the year (I think, maybe November) so schematic design is done, and they are moving into Design Development. "H. Edward Goldberg" wrote in message news:1536842.1106277989206.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Several programs are being used on that project, including Arch Desktop > which is being used as AutoCAD. The Freedom tower is still in schematics. > The tower design is being done in Revit > > Ed Goldberg AIA > http://www.hegra.org
Message 10 of 11
Cota

Just reading your post now (09/15/2005). The following from Graphisoft's website might clear things up for you.

"There were two recent examples of building design that showed that the architect has a long way to go to make energy simulation an integral part of their work. One was is a small project - my new home. The other is New York's Freedom Tower.

In the case of calculating the energy efficiency of Freedom Tower, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) provided their know-how on the project.

The Freedom Tower design features two elaborate "pleated skin" façades. LBNL modeled the middle (office space) section of the tall and twisting building with ArchiCAD to import the very complex building skin geometry into EnergyPlus™; NREL added the definition of mechanical equipment and systems. LBNL and NREL are simulating the performance of different building skin alternatives, as an integral part of the rest of the building, with EnergyPlus to determine optimal daylighting design and overall building energy performance. The architects and the mechanical engineers on the project are using the results of the simulation in making design decisions."
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

In my understanding, the "very complex pleated skin" was created in Revit,
exported to DWG, then imported into ArchiCAD so that an Energy Plus
calculation could be run on the panel.

wrote in message news:4957932@discussion.autodesk.com...
Just reading your post now (09/15/2005). The following from Graphisoft's
website might clear things up for you.

"There were two recent examples of building design that showed that the
architect has a long way to go to make energy simulation an integral part of
their work. One was is a small project - my new home. The other is New
York's Freedom Tower.

In the case of calculating the energy efficiency of Freedom Tower, the
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and the National Renewable
Energy Laboratory (NREL) provided their know-how on the project.

The Freedom Tower design features two elaborate "pleated skin" façades. LBNL
modeled the middle (office space) section of the tall and twisting building
with ArchiCAD to import the very complex building skin geometry into
EnergyPlusT; NREL added the definition of mechanical equipment and systems.
LBNL and NREL are simulating the performance of different building skin
alternatives, as an integral part of the rest of the building, with
EnergyPlus to determine optimal daylighting design and overall building
energy performance. The architects and the mechanical engineers on the
project are using the results of the simulation in making design decisions."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report