Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrapping angled free standing wall

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
machie01
2402 Views, 6 Replies

wrapping angled free standing wall

Hello,

For a project I have a free standing wall, which is angled. With the normal wall, the wrapping is ok, but if I make it angled, the wrapping at the end disappears.

I'm new to Revit, so maybe I did something wrong with the angled wall: first I draw a normal wall, then I 'edit profile' to make the angle, and the wrapping is gone!

I read something about setting the location line to finish face: exterior, but that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LisaDrago
in reply to: machie01

Hello and Welcome to the Discussion!

So that is a pretty normal response in Revit - you have not done anything wrong. WHen you cut the wall - the material does not technically wrap. What you can do is paint the material you need onto the cut face. The attached image will show it.

You can find the paint command on the Modify Tab>Geometry panel.

Please note: when I painted the brick on - it came rotated 90 deg. So you can select one of the pattern lines (use the Tab key) and rotated the pattern by 90 deg and it will then show correctly.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 7
trevorpan
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi Lisa,

I'm in my second Revit class at the local community college.

Is the paint tool mainly used for this condition?

Also, I have a related issue of integral wall sweeps not wrapping the corner, but the material does in a wall type.  It's not a fancy wall like machie01's, but there are two sweeps I'm having trouble with - a concrete wainscot and a eifs cornice profile.  I'm using revit 2012 and the return wall sweeps button either does not exist in this version, or I'm having trouble finding it.

Strangely enough, when I hit help autodesk takes me to the 2014 help files, so maybe thats why I cannot find the wall sweep return button.

Thank you !

Trevor Pan
http://www.trevorpan.com
Message 4 of 7
machie01

Hello Lisa,

The brick was used to make it more clear. It's actually a concrete core, and on both sides insulation with plasterboard. In the view on it that already looks good (white), but I have to show the insulation in the floorplan.

Painting only works on the surface right?

I didn't cut the wall, but edited the profile. Or does Revit thinks that's the same?

When I edit profile and make a triangle void in the wall, the wrapping happens only at the vertical part, and not to the horizontal or the angled part (see attached image).

So I guess Revit just can't wrap like that?

I also tried to make an opening, and then rotate that opening, but that also doesn't work...

Should I make a generic model with the right materials, and align it to the angled part?

Gert Jan

Message 5 of 7
LisaDrago
in reply to: trevorpan

Hello - that is the main use of paint that I have used. Or aplying a different material to the face of a wall.

I looked at your wall sweep - did you place a sweep on the perpendicular wall? it should clean up the corners if there is a sweek on all 3 walls.

as for your parapet - that is how it is going to be with a broken up edge.

In the wiki help you should be able to get to the 2012 help area - you can find it on the left side of hte screen.

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 6 of 7
LisaDrago
in reply to: machie01

Hello machie01 - yes - paint works on a surface. If the floor plan is not showing correctly - you could use detail lines to show what is going on.

You will not be able to make every possible situation show the way you want to - so you have regular drafting tools available. I would leave the floor plan in course view and to a detail of the wall showing what is happening. That should suffice.

Modeling the specific object would give you what you are looking for.

LD

Message 7 of 7
machie01

Hello Lisa,

For this phase of the project I have to show material, also in floorplan. So setting the floorplan to coarse is not an option.

I'll decide later if it's going to be modeled or painted.

Thanks for your help!

Gert Jan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report