Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksets - changing the username

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
708 Views, 4 Replies

Worksets - changing the username

I had the following question from one of our newly trained Revit users: I initiated the central file and created a bunch of worksets when my "worksets username" (under settings/options) is still "admininistrator" (I was the first and only one person to work on the file and I believe is the default for everybody when they first start?). I developed the model up to a certain point and then I thought it will be a good idea to change the "worksets username" to my own name since other people will be sharing the file too. After I changed the username, I logged out and logged back in, reopened the file and discovered that I cannot check out or do any modification because the program told me that the owner to all the worksets was still "administrator" (shouldn't it have vanish right after I changed my username?) The only way I could continue to modify the model is to change my username back to "Administrator" again. I think from the file management standpoint, the username "Administrator" should belong to the PM or PA. I started the model and apparently "inherit" this title. Is there a way to "transfer" the title to someone else and why does the program keep telling me that the owner is "Administrator" even after I changed my username? Any suggestions are welcome: -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit mostly relies on Workset Username found in Settings | Options | General. This even allows impersonating others. There is no need to keep changing OS identity. "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:418a639a_2@newsprd01... >I had the following question from one of our newly trained Revit users: > > I initiated the central file and created a bunch of worksets when my > "worksets username" (under settings/options) is still "admininistrator" (I > was the first and only one person to work on the file and I believe is the > default for everybody when they first start?). I developed the model up to > a > certain point and then I thought it will be a good idea to change the > "worksets username" to my own name since other people will be sharing the > file too. After I changed the username, I logged out and logged back in, > reopened the file and discovered that I cannot check out or do any > modification because the program told me that the owner to all the > worksets > was still "administrator" (shouldn't it have vanish right after I changed > my > username?) The only way I could continue to modify the model is to change > my > username back to "Administrator" again. > I think from the file management standpoint, the username "Administrator" > should belong to the PM or PA. I started the model and apparently > "inherit" > this title. Is there a way to "transfer" the title to someone else and why > does the program keep telling me that the owner is "Administrator" even > after I changed my username? > > Any suggestions are welcome: > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Ok, like leonid mentioned, revit users the settings/options workset name. Now this name will default to the windows login name when you run revit for the very first time and there is no previous revit.ini file present. I assume you are log in as administrator on that machine? that's why you seeing administrator as your workset name. It is very important to make sure you workset user names are set-up the way you want them. In our office we use first name ie Chris or Mark. Once that setting is changed, it sticks until you change it again. Being able to impersonate other has advantages, like when user Bob leaves earlier and does not release his worksets (for which I punish severely, lol) you can change your name to bob, get into the central file and release what you need to. -Z "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:418a639a_2@newsprd01... > I had the following question from one of our newly trained Revit users: > > I initiated the central file and created a bunch of worksets when my > "worksets username" (under settings/options) is still "admininistrator" (I > was the first and only one person to work on the file and I believe is the > default for everybody when they first start?). I developed the model up to a > certain point and then I thought it will be a good idea to change the > "worksets username" to my own name since other people will be sharing the > file too. After I changed the username, I logged out and logged back in, > reopened the file and discovered that I cannot check out or do any > modification because the program told me that the owner to all the worksets > was still "administrator" (shouldn't it have vanish right after I changed my > username?) The only way I could continue to modify the model is to change my > username back to "Administrator" again. > I think from the file management standpoint, the username "Administrator" > should belong to the PM or PA. I started the model and apparently "inherit" > this title. Is there a way to "transfer" the title to someone else and why > does the program keep telling me that the owner is "Administrator" even > after I changed my username? > > Any suggestions are welcome: > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > >
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Ok, like leonid mentioned, revit uses the settings/options workset name. Now, this name will default to the windows login name when you run revit for the very first time and there is no previous revit.ini file present. I assume you are log in as administrator on that machine? that's why you seeing administrator as your workset name. It is very important to make sure you workset user names are set-up the way you want them. In our office we use first name ie Chris or Mark. Once that setting is changed, it sticks until you change it again. Being able to impersonate other has advantages, like when user Bob leaves early and does not release his worksets (for which I punish severely, lol) you can change your name to bob, get into the central file and release what you need to. -Z "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:418a639a_2@newsprd01... > I had the following question from one of our newly trained Revit users: > > I initiated the central file and created a bunch of worksets when my > "worksets username" (under settings/options) is still "admininistrator" (I > was the first and only one person to work on the file and I believe is the > default for everybody when they first start?). I developed the model up to a > certain point and then I thought it will be a good idea to change the > "worksets username" to my own name since other people will be sharing the > file too. After I changed the username, I logged out and logged back in, > reopened the file and discovered that I cannot check out or do any > modification because the program told me that the owner to all the worksets > was still "administrator" (shouldn't it have vanish right after I changed my > username?) The only way I could continue to modify the model is to change my > username back to "Administrator" again. > I think from the file management standpoint, the username "Administrator" > should belong to the PM or PA. I started the model and apparently "inherit" > this title. Is there a way to "transfer" the title to someone else and why > does the program keep telling me that the owner is "Administrator" even > after I changed my username? > > Any suggestions are welcome: > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

1. Start Revit. 2. Change your user name in settings/options back to Administator. 3. Open the central file. 4. Make all worksets not editable. (Make sure you don't have any changes in local files that haven't yet been saved to central; if you do, then making the worksets non-editable puts these changes at risk. Also, you won't be able to open the local file with the new user name.) 5. Close the central file. 6. Change your user name in settings/options to whatever you want. 7. Open the central file again. 8. Now you should be able to check out worksets with your new user name. It sounds like you were missing step 4. Also note that it is recommended never to change your user name in Revit while a workset file is open. "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:418a639a_2@newsprd01... >I had the following question from one of our newly trained Revit users: > > I initiated the central file and created a bunch of worksets when my > "worksets username" (under settings/options) is still "admininistrator" (I > was the first and only one person to work on the file and I believe is the > default for everybody when they first start?). I developed the model up to > a > certain point and then I thought it will be a good idea to change the > "worksets username" to my own name since other people will be sharing the > file too. After I changed the username, I logged out and logged back in, > reopened the file and discovered that I cannot check out or do any > modification because the program told me that the owner to all the > worksets > was still "administrator" (shouldn't it have vanish right after I changed > my > username?) The only way I could continue to modify the model is to change > my > username back to "Administrator" again. > I think from the file management standpoint, the username "Administrator" > should belong to the PM or PA. I started the model and apparently > "inherit" > this title. Is there a way to "transfer" the title to someone else and why > does the program keep telling me that the owner is "Administrator" even > after I changed my username? > > Any suggestions are welcome: > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report