Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working out daylight levels in Revit / Max ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wyvernwood
1028 Views, 5 Replies

Working out daylight levels in Revit / Max ?

Hello,

we have just installed the trial of the Building Design Suite Premium 2013 - to test our hardware before purchasing the suite. It's all new at the moment, and I'm slowly working through tutorials. As usual, my mind starts jumping around to work out what is and isn't possible, so....

Is it possible to calculate average or mapped daylight factors for rooms ? This isn't just a ratio of window area to floor area, but a calculation from a given point that works out the angle of sky visible, and uses reflectance values for surfaces to provide a broad daylight factor expressed as a %. It's needed for BREEAM (UK) and LEED - although I think the specific calcs may be different for each.

I'm not sure whether Revit has this ability built in - or whether it uses MEP - or even whether we need to export the model into 3ds Max Design and apply architectural materials with accurately defined reflectance values to render light levels within the room.

Thanks for any pointers or advice.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wyvernwood
in reply to: wyvernwood

After a bit of online research, I found a couple of freely available tools - DiaLux + Relux.

I am currently running a coupld of tests from within each of those programmes, and from experimenting with DiaLux - it can provide the type of results that we are after.

All I need to test now - is whether a model can be exported from Revit into those apps - and how much info will accompany those exports.

I'll post my findings here in case it is relevant to anyone else.

Message 3 of 6
gbs
Explorer

You mean IEQ(Indoor Environmental Quality) Credit 8.1, right?

As far as I know, It is possible to calculate Daylight Factor using 3DS Max Design.

Details of the features can be found in the document that was introduced in AU 2011.

Message 4 of 6
jagostinhoCT

Hello,

I am looking on whether Revit can perform such BREEAM lighting analysis.
How did the DiaLux and Relux testing go?

Or did you find alternative ways of doing it?

thanks.
Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Message 5 of 6
loboarch
in reply to: jagostinhoCT

You might want to look into this tool that runs inside of Revit.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/lighting-analysis-revit/overview

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 6
jagostinhoCT
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks loboarch.

I found that one. But it seems that it only does LEED analysis. We are looking for a BREEAM one.

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report