Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wood material selection

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mpukas
1346 Views, 2 Replies

Wood material selection

On a wood framed single family house, I'm modeling all of the exterior wood trim using in-place component sweep (because that's the best way I know how ATM - YES it's very time consuming). I'm using the standard Revit profile family that I've saved a copy of and added my own additional sizes to, and create a new sweep profile as I need for the trim peices. 

I can't figure out how to asign a material to trim I'm modeling. I've added WOOD to the profile family, for each size in the family editor. When I select the finished trim peice and EDIT TYPE, the only option is STRUCTURAL MATERIAL, and I've added WOOD - but it doesn't render. 

If I use a wall sweep, then the sweep will render with a material. When I use the roof fascia, it too will render with a material. but not my in-place components. I can use the same exact profile for a wall sweep or roof fascia and it will render, but not an in-place component sweep. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks much! mpp

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ChrisNeedhamNZ
in reply to: mpukas

You add the material to the sweep itself once it is created, not the profile. So before you click on "Finish model" you select your sweep (or extrusion or whatever) then add the material to that, then "Finish Model."

Chris Needham
Whangarei
New Zealand
Message 3 of 3
mpukas
in reply to: ChrisNeedhamNZ

OK - I've got something to work. 

I select a sweep I've made, edit in-place, and then select the sweep. In properties, under "Materials and Finishes" I select the secret button which opens "Associate Family Parameters". Here I add parameter and call it "Material" and group under "Materials and Finishes". OK out of all of this, and Finish Model. THEN, I select the sweep again and hit "edit Properties", where "Materials" now shows up. I can assign a material to the sweep, and it will render. YAY! 

But wait a minute - this is a LOT of extra work. And I have a LOT of individual sweeps (again, because I don't know any better yet). Do I really have to do this to each sweep? I know I can do it while creting the sweep, but even so, it's a LOT of extra work. 

Is there a way to add this parameter to the original default wall sweep creator-what-ever-it's-called? 

Thaks for the help - much appreciated. mpp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report