Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows/Doors Cut/Join with Floors?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
wkohn
1296 Views, 11 Replies

Windows/Doors Cut/Join with Floors?

Hello all,

Curious how I can accomplish the following.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My floor structure has a finish layer of carpet that's a 1/2" thick.  When I build this however, my doors and full height windows won't go down to the carpet, they'll go down to the sheathing and the carpet will cut in around it all.  So how do I get my carpet to cut itself out of the way of my doors/windows like it does with my walls?  Take a look at the pic (sans walls) to see the carpet intersecting with my frames.

Revit - Carpet Cut 1.jpg

Thanks

~Wes~ 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ccollins
in reply to: wkohn

The way we typically do this is:

Model the "carpet" (or other Finish material ) as a separate, individual floor, or floor(s)

and edit the sketch of the floor at all transitions, such as doors, openings, changes in materials, etc.

I don't think there is an easy way (or at all) to "cut" the floor's "carpet" or finish layer automatically.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 12
wkohn
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks Cliff.

I'll do it that way for now, but leave this post open for a little while longer yet.  Just to see if anyone else has any tricks out there or maybe knows of a plugin or something.  Regardless, I appreciate the answer, I didn't even think to sandwich 2 "floors" on top of each other.

~Wes~ 

Message 4 of 12
ccollins

Another way in 2012 or 2013 is to use Parts, and then Divide Parts and assign different Materials to the Divided portions.

This is a new approach, and has some advantages and disadvantages--depending on how you need to work and if you do quantity take-offs from Revit using Schedules--although this has improved in 2013's Parts function.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 12
wkohn

Thanks again Cliff.

I'll check it out.  I haven't yet used parts in Revit, but did see that 2013 has upgraded their ease of use.  The main reason I want this working out properly is exactly for materials takeoff, so figuring a solid way to do it will help us out a lot.

~Wes~ 

Message 6 of 12
loboarch

@oihadsf wrote:

Thanks again Cliff.

I'll check it out.  I haven't yet used parts in Revit, but did see that 2013 has upgraded their ease of use.  The main reason I want this working out properly is exactly for materials takeoff, so figuring a solid way to do it will help us out a lot.

~Wes~ 

If it is primarily for materials takeoffs then parts might be a tough road to go down.  It is more of a challenge to get a material takeoff from a "mixed" model where in some case you are using parts and in other cases you are using elements such as floors.

Out of curiouisity are your materials take offs so accurate as these cutouts would need to even be calculated?  I would assume the materials are ordered a lot more roughly than this and these kinds of cutouts are really just part of the "waste" assumed in the takeoff.

I have done a couple of personal projects around my house and did really accurate takeoffs but still ended up with overage just because You can't really buy construction materials in super accurate quantities.  I have a box of hardwood flooring in my garage that is about 80% full to prove this.  I opened the box and used a couple of planks to finish the room.  Now I can't take it back.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 12
wkohn
in reply to: loboarch

Jeff,

Let me clarify, currently the way it is would be just fine for materials takeoff.  In no way would we dial it in to the exact square inch of material needed.  It's more so the visual problem with having the carpet not treat frames/doors/windows the same way it does with walls in 3D views and in sections.  Take a look at my section below.  The green is my window sill attaching to the floor, the red is the carpet cutting through my sill and yellow is my sheathing, in place and working great.  Ideally, my carpet would stop at the frame, but I can't get it to do that.  Per your comments, I'll forego using parts.  Making a secondary floor system of just carpet seems tedius but certainly more than simple enough to undertake.

Thanks for the input,

~Wes~ 

Revit - Carpet Cut 2.jpg 

Message 8 of 12
ccollins

Wes,

Parts is actually less tedious than multiple floors. You have a SINGLE floor object, but you can edit it's "layers"

individually. You set your Views and View Templates to show "Parts, Original, or Both" depending on what you need to show in which views.

You can easily create a Material Takeoff and specify Parts to get accurate quantities.

You Create Parts, then Divide the "top layer" using sketch tools, just like editing the footprint of a floor sketch.

Works like a charm. Give it a try, before throwing it out.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 12
wkohn

Cliff,

I've been meaning to check out parts.  Once we get 2013 installed, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again,

~Wes~ 

Message 10 of 12
loboarch

Actually parts might be a really good option for you in this case if you are willing to take the quantity derived from the floor element and then use the parts elements to get the visual appearance you want.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 11 of 12
mahmouds12

easiest way which will not affect the quantity is to add a masking region in the door family 🙂

in the floor plan create a ref. plane in the center of the door... name it "cut"... then create a section view... got to the section view and draw and lock the masking region on the "cut" workplane

Message 12 of 12
matmatmat86

I do that kind of elements separate, as Mr. Collins suggested, as individual floor. But I speed up the process with additional tool Room to Floor (CGS Revit tool addins), which creates floors beneath selected rooms and also take door into account. So I just select room or more rooms and define which kind of floor (finish) I want to create. It's real quick and efficient.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report