Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Sash variance

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cjp
Enthusiast
1254 Views, 5 Replies

Window Sash variance

I am having issues with a window sash being present in some instances and not in others. I have attached some photos  to show how on an elevation a window family displays a sash all the way across and on the same elevation and the same family it does not extend the full width of the window. This even holds true in a rendering as the other attached photo shows that the sash on the double hung does not render the full width of the window, but rather just that small section in the middle. I do notice that it happens with certain window sizes over another, but do not understand why. This is a window that I had downloaded from RevitCity and do understand that sometimes the downloads from an open source like that can give you defunct families, but that one was harder to find and it is the best match for the existing window type on the house. I plan to modify it to be a perfect match if I can get the sash to show up consistantly. Because it is all the same family, when I go to edit the family the sash shows up as a full sash like it does on the windows I need it to. Any ideas on why this happens and even more importantly how to correct the issue?

-C.Rash

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cjp
Enthusiast
in reply to: cjp

I have also noticed a difference in window pane sizes. Ideally they would be equally spaced throughout no matter what size as the family is set up that way.

Message 3 of 6
alan.quinn

Please respond to the following:

1. Is this your family?

2. Can you re-create this with an out of the box window in this Revit project?

3. Are the brick walls the same thickness in your project?

4. Does the window have some sort of set back parameter that's different in the two windows in your photos?

5. If you open a blank out of the box project and add this window to a few different thickness wall what happens? 

6. Can you attach the window?

Thanks for posting.

Message 4 of 6
cjp
Enthusiast
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan, 

Thank you for looking into this for me further. Here are the answers I have for your questions hopefully this helps.

Please respond to the following:

1. Is this your family?

No I obtained it from revitcity.com

2. Can you re-create this with an out of the box window in this Revit project?

I am fairly new to Revit and do not know how to make the window with the headers etc. I picked this one because it most closely resembled what is on the building currently and plan to go into the family and modify it to match better. 

3. Are the brick walls the same thickness in your project?

All exterior walls (brick) are 10”. Yes they are all the same wall type. 

4. Does the window have some sort of set back parameter that's different in the two windows in your photos?

I do not see any parameter  like that located in the properties window, but nor do I really know what im looking for. 

5. If you open a blank out of the box project and add this window to a few different thickness wall what happens? 

In doing this I may have stumbled upon something. I went into the family editor and changed the constraints width of the entire window to the largest size I need. Now the center sash stays at the large size and is hidden in the wall. Not ideal, but works better than what it was doing. It also messes up all of the mullion sizes that I can redo if I need to; also not ideal. Essentially doing it this way I would have t o create a new window family for each size rather than it modifying it on its own. Is there something in the family I can change so that it stays equal. The dimentions on the family elevation say "eq." but obviously thats not working.

6. Can you attach the window?

Find attached the family for the window I am using.

Message 5 of 6
alan.quinn

I found many issues in this family. The Window set back from wall parameter is set to 5" so any wall 5" or under simply cannot host this window. If you go into Family Editor and then the only section you will see it on the top an bottom of the window. Since you are new to this I suggest taking a family that works and playing about with it. Most families that ship with the application work as expected. Opening the Default window from the Architectural File in the Family Editor would be a great place to start. Take a look at how its made, save off a copy locally, then change one of the parameters, load it and watch what happens. 

Keep in mind that windows are complex, so you may want to start with a parametric cube. Try building a cube that can be controlled by parametes!

Here's a window also on RevitCity that works, but has a few issues: http://www.revitcity.com/downloads.php?action=view&object_id=1985

The sill and head heights are reversed. However, its a great family and one that I use all the time. Compared to your window this one is a little more complex, but it's just more of the same. Take a look at the Family Help Section on WikiHelp, you will find lots of great information:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-4EBB97AD-C7B6-4828-91EB-BC0E99B81E43

I'm guessing the reason you pick your window was it suited most of your needs. I tend to do the same, but if an element is not working correctly sometimes its simply not worth fixing, and I move onto the next. The trick with creating families is taking baby steps. True to life you need to crawl first, then walk. When I'm altering or building a family I only do one thing at a time, then I test in the family editor, if it works as expected I load into my project and re-test. If it fails in the family editor I try and figure out the issue or I simply hit undo. No point putting it in a project if its broken. Assuming it works and I load it, I will then test in the project. I will also test all the other parameters. You never know how one parameters is going to interact with another. Again, assuming it works I will make another change in the family editor and start the testing process over. 

This all takes time, but if you add a bunch of parameters in the family editor, then load and it fails, you have no way of knowing which one is really causing the issue.

My advise is pick a new family that works and edit to suit your need.

Thanks again........

Message 6 of 6
cjp
Enthusiast
in reply to: alan.quinn

I appreciate the help as I am still pretty new to Revit. I had picked that specific one as it had the jack arch and brick sill that I wanted, but if it doesnt work then that is just one thing yet to learn to do. Thanks again. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report